Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Generic Return Name On Envelope

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

120 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I live in a homeowners associations where there is a plethora of ideological and personal dissension. I would like to show off some beautiful stamps and mail letters to owners expressing my opinion on some of the candidates for HOA Board, encouraging them to vote or not vote for specific candidates. I don't want to sign my name to the letter or put my name on the return address because this community is very divided and unfortunately minor neighborhood issues get very personal in my HOA.

I don't want to leave the return address area blank, because people might be less inclined to open the letter, thinking it's junk mail, but is it illegal or prohibited by postal regulations to just write something like "XYZ HOA Election Information" and no return address? I don't want to do anything illegal.

When "Santa" writes back to wish lists, does he put "Santa Claus--North Pole" as the return address?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1257 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm assuming you are in the U.S. If you Google search "postal regulations return address" you should get your answer easily enough. The postal regs are too long to post here.

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Trainwreck - 11/13/2019 3:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no requirement for a return address on a first class letter. Packages are a different story.

As any junk mailer would tell you, make it not look like junk mail. Use a non-standard and/or colored envelope (stationery store). Use a stamp and not a meter; I would use a commemorative. Address the envelope by hand assuming your writing/printing is not immediately distinctive. Otherwise find a "friendly-looking" font like a script font and use that.
Edited by hy-brasil - 11/13/2019 5:14 pm
Valued Member
120 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q602.htm

Does not address the issue of putting something to the effect of "XYZ HOA Election Information" with no specific address or the Santa Claus example.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
755 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why not just address it to occupents" at ##### address their postal code and from your postal code. Since your in the same building the postal codes will be the same. But don't forget to post one to yourself to prove you received one also or they will figure out who it is.

Buisness address mail like this in Canada all the time. Oh, and get a computer to print it in script as your hand writing might possibly be identified.
Edited by No1philatelist - 11/13/2019 10:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1042 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Simply place your nine-digit zip code in the return address. Only the PO will understand your return address.
Edited by Hal - 11/14/2019 09:55 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
170 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you wish to share your opinions about your HOA candidates, you should have the sand to associate your name with your views. Democracy does not work very well on "anonymous." No matter how nice the stamps you use for postage may be.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3718 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   1:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes I use Elvis Presley or the law firm of Dewey, Cheatum & Howe as a return addressee.
Valued Member
120 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anonymous pamphlets, leaflets, brochures and even books have played an important role in the progress of mankind …The decision in favor of anonymity may be motivated by fear of economic or official retaliation, by concern about social ostracism, or merely by a desire to preserve as much of one's privacy as possible. Whatever the motivation may be…. the interest in having anonymous works enter the marketplace of ideas unquestionably outweighs any public interest in requiring disclosure as a condition of entry. Accordingly, an author's decision to remain anonymous…is an aspect of the freedom of speech protected by the First Amendment…Persecuted groups and sects from time to time throughout history have been able to criticize oppressive practices and laws either anonymously or not at all…. an advocate may believe her ideas will be more persuasive if her readers are unaware of her identity. Anonymity thereby provides a way for a writer who may be personally unpopular to ensure that readers will not prejudge her message simply because they do not like its proponent. …Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation – and their ideas from suppression – at the hand of an intolerant society. McIntyre v. Ohio, 514 U.S. 334 (1995) (other citations omitted).

Getting back to the return envelope, a return address is not required. It is still not known whether something generic such as "XYZ HOA Election Communication" with no address is permitted or even "Santa Claus" not even mentioning the North Pole is permitted.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3718 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Declaring a source of information as "anonymous" can be problematic at times when abused repeatedly. There is an awful lot of "an anonymous source said" in the media lately and I think that it is doing a disservice to the concept of anonymity. And obviously one is far better off facing an accuser than not. But yes, publish anonymous works at will.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
170 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In a political contest, such as your upcoming HOA election, there is no place for anonymous endorsements of candidates, but of course you are free to do so. If you are reluctant -- or in your case, it seems, afraid -- to attach your name in support of a political candidate, your endorsement utterly lacks credibility and may even damage the candidacy of those whose candidacy you favor. I've never heard anyone comment "I'm going to vote for Joe because Anonymous supports him!" You are not Thomas Paine, for Pete's sake.
Learn More...
7402 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   5:22 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Don
Valued Member
120 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many HOA's can be a grownup version of high school with all the cliques, false personas, pettiness and cattiness involved. It is for that reason, people who wish to express their opinions in writing prefer to remain anonymous. I would appeal to the "silent majority" by expressing how based on how the meetings are conducted with verbal insults and intra-community emails often turn into heated "wars" and debates, I wish to remain anonymous.

Perhaps if I use multiple stamps to reach the 55c rate, the envelope would stand out and get opened.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3718 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DON:LMAO
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05