Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Christmas Stamp Error In 2019 Magi Booklet

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
756 Posts
Posted 11/13/2019   10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add No1philatelist to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Fresh from the Post Office - Well here is another one for all the hunters out there looking for Canadian errors. The new 2019 Christmas Magi booklets of 12 has been printed on the wrong side of the paper. It is exactly the same error made in 2018 QEII 65 Coronation issue booklets. They were printed on the wrong side of the paper causing the stamps to have "no gum."

The post office notice went out dated today mentioning these booklets. As with the last time this happened a recall was not issued, but they request the post offices to accept returns of any booklets which the customer brings back for replacement. As a matter of fact the notice itself contains an error in stating that "the booklets of 10"; which are actually 12, of the "Magi" were printed on the wrong side.

Enjoy the hunt for treasures! If anyone gets some I would be interested in knowing. Gone through about 200 booklets already today and no luck so far. Mike

Pictures of the normal booklet, a clip of the document is below as well as the thread about the Coronation issue and what to look for.

Edit: added the word normal

http://goscf.com/t/62012
Send note to Staff
Edited by No1philatelist - 11/14/2019 10:02 pm

Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As a matter of fact the notice itself contains an error in stating that "the booklets of 10"; which are actually 12, of the "Magi" were printed on the wrong side.

This is truly the best part of the story!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1217 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, none of the ten booklets I've seen are of the variety.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
756 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I have now looked at over 400 booklets and still have not found any. I am going on a 400km trip to an auction this weekend and there are a lot of offices along the way. Maybe!
Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased two booklets in Vancouver today but no luck. The postmistress said she had seen none and no one had yet returned any for a refund at her London Drugs outlet.

Are you checking the booklets with a light or lifting a stamp to see if it has gum? Stamp sellers normally have their products under glass so how can you inspect a booklet without purchasing it? This would be an expensive proposition!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
502 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Plateflaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No indication as to which offices received the "errors"?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
756 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plateflaw- The notice went out to all post offices across Canada so no idea how many or where they are.

Wigeon44- I will not purchase any without checking them. I have the regular booklet and do not need anymore. Ask them to show you the booklets, all of them and not just the ones under the glass. Tell them you are a collector and looking for something different. Most are obliging as they want to sell. I have been allowed to pop open 50 packs to check and see. You do not need a blacklight and do not have to lift the stamp to try it. And it only takes about 30 seconds to check a bundle. Believe me you will notice the difference instantly when you angle and compare them side by side.
Edited by No1philatelist - 11/14/2019 9:46 pm
Valued Member
Canada
66 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   01:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wigeon44 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks No1 - I'll take your advice and give it a try! It doesn't hurt to ask...
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4718 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Believe me you will notice the difference instantly when you angle and compare them side by side.

@No1philatelist, what exactly are the differences between
the normal and the variety?

BTW shouldn't this thread be in the Canadian Stamps forum
not here in the General Philatelic Discussion forum.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4718 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up one booklet at my local Canada Post Office.
It is a good looking stamp and I like the fact it is
printed in only 2 colours not like many of those gaudy multicoloured
labels.

I'm curious as to why the Details magazine states that the stamps
were printed lithography in 3 colours.
Also at the bottom of the booklet there are 3 stars indicating
the different colours used.

I only see two, dark blue and gold.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6570 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose the black star is to indicate the ccolor used for the barcode

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4718 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter, the colour of the first star looks to me like
a dark brown speckled with gold, definitely not black.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
756 Posts
Posted 11/16/2019   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Up to Halifax for Eastern Auctions sale. Interesting day especially for postal history items. Now to get back to thread.

As for finding any booklets, looked at at least another 200 at 4 postal outlets and nothing.

Lithograving- Under General philatelic discussions - Non country specific- is the only place I found - "News." And that is why Canadian was also put into title. Therfore- here it is.

As for seeing the variety with the naked eye, view them as I stated previously and you will know if there is any sought after ones in the bunch. After all it is printed on the wrong side of booklet.

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 11/16/2019 6:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
756 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, its a wrap trying to find any. Checked another 100 booklets yesteday and no luck. Have been unable to find any.
And have just found out this PM. that these booklets have apparently been recalled.

Maybe better luck next time. And it is not a matter of if it happens again, but when. The fun of the chance and anticipation of a find is what keeps me buying modern Canadian stamps.
Edited by No1philatelist - 11/20/2019 5:10 pm
Valued Member
Canada
33 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The postmaster of my community showed me the second notice received from Post-Canada asking them to stop the sale of this booklet and return them all. A new print should be available after or on November 25th. I wonder if there will be a way to differentiate these two booklets. A different bar code?
There is a notification for this booklet on the Post-Canada website: Curently for pre-order only. Your item will ship once it becomes available.
No luck for me in my search to find a booklet with the error, I only found one with a print defect.
Pollux
Edited by Pollux - 11/20/2019 5:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
756 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pollux, what was the print defect. Please tell!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05