Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Christmas Stamp Error In 2019 Magi Booklet

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,153Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
46 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Difficult to say what caused this defect on that stamp, at first glance I would say that the ink had moved during the printing process (not sure) perhaps a liquid could have caused this. The blue color is cracked and there is discoloration on the shepherd's head. You could feel the asperity, not a lot but it is not flat. This booklet was part of a sealed package that I opened myself. Position 6 of the first panel.

Pollux
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1005 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite an interesting find. It looks like a large elongated O affecting the area from the C in Canada all the way down to the camels belly, but clear in middle except for the, "white crown" on the Kings head. Now I am sorry that I did not take the extra time to view all the insides of those booklets.
Valued Member
Canada
46 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No1philatelist, you are aware that all the booklets have been recalled, the second impression should arrive next week with I hope something to differentiate them. We'll see...Pollux
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1005 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I am aware as mentioned in my post almost 5 hrs ago.
They probably will send them back to printer. As to whether they will do a complete reprint or just print enough with some unaffected rebundled from the old printing, we will have to wait and see.
There are so many errors arising with the printed material and their security lately, I am sure they will now come under much more scrutiny from Canada Post.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I needed some stamps for Christmas mail so I picked up
a Magi booklet from the Canada Post Office in Newmarket.
When comparing with the original, this supposed reprint
has the same barcode number and at first glance looks the
same as before.

On closer look though it appears that the blue colour is a bit darker and the gold has less shine to it.

I can't understand why these booklets were recalled and reprinted when it seems like very few were defective.
Just exchange or give the customer back their money for the
defective ones returned to any Canada Post or Shoppers outlets.
That's all, finito. Why bother with all this when 99% of the
public don't even use stamps any more and most of the younger
ones haven't a clue what a stamp is and have never mailed a letter in their life.

I also would like to know if the printer did the reprints gratis,
since it was their fault or did Canada Post (we the tax payers)
pay for this.

Original booklet on the left, reprint on the right.

Original on top, reprint on bottom.
Here the difference is more obvious.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1005 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Litho, my local office did not get any back yet. Still waiting for replacements. I understand that the printer was going to do a reprint. No doubt they would have had to do the replacements for free as it was their error that caused this. I also noticed from the Canada Post website that the # remained the same. Hard to see any color difference on the screen.

Did the color stars on the inside of the booklet in margin remain the same?

Edit: added Canada Post
Edited by No1philatelist - 12/09/2019 9:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did the color stars on the inside of the booklet in margin remain the same?

Yes, basically the same.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1005 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, looks the same now that I see that side by side. Will have to check with local office again tomorrow.

I wonder if CP did not just have all the booklets returned, sifted out any defective ones and sent the rest back out again.
Valued Member
Canada
46 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pollux to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Checked in two post offices in the region and found nothing. In addition the ones I checked, around sixty, did not seem mint at all, they were sealed but wear was visible on several, trace of manipulation was evident. I did not notice any difference in color shade either. No1philatelist you probably have the right explanation. If there was a reprint, it was minimal. There may never have been, who knows.
Pollux.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1005 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I went to my regular PO last week and they still have not received any replacements for the 600 they sent back. Went to another and they are still selling their original batch, apparently they did not even return them. The packaging on the bundle was dated September if memory serves me correct.
Edited by No1philatelist - 12/16/2019 9:50 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,153Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05