Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ox1p3? Post Office Seal Proof - Unlisted.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
406 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Philazilla to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
(Last one)

I have a proof labeled "OX1P3" I know nothing about post office seals, let alone post office seal proofs. I do see that an "OX1P3" is not listed in my 2019 Scott's Specialized. There are a number of die proofs and trial colors listed - there is an OX1P2 listed which is described as "brn, plate on India paper." Is this what I have? I thought P2s were Roosevelt Die Proofs? Maybe this is an error in the catalog?

If I don't get these figured out here, I may take these out to Chicagopex in a couple weeks and see if James Lee wouldn't mind helping me out.

Thanks for the attention to my proof questions!
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27523 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As an aside,
are you able to suggest what we call the lass as the icon on this item, please?
Is she "America" ? or ?

Stars on Phrygian (Liberty) cap.

Found it : Linn's
The design shows a representation of Liberty within an oval placed in the center of the phrase "officially Sealed." Though difficult to see on the label shown in Figure 2, the background of the 1877 seal consists of the repeated Latin phrase "Post Obitum," which can be translated as "dead mail" or "dead letter."

https://www.linns.com/news/postal-u...story-1.html
Scott OX3 identifies a new label with a new design created in 1877 for a new reason. These engraved issues, printed in chocolate brown, provided the basic design that, with occasional minor changes, appeared on U.S. official seals for 95 years.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 11/14/2019 01:03 am
Valued Member
United States
305 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod has the right of it. the ox seals were printed in all manor of shades and papers. that said if they were mine I would take them with you if you go.
Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
(Last one)

Awww! Well, my popcorn's about gone anyways.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05