Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Zealand 1860s+ Queen Victoria Postal Fiscals

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,711Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another nice group. We rarely see even this many in collections found in the States.

Be aware that the large circle cancels are parcels cancels, meaning usage as postage stamps. You might want to separate these/make postally used a separate collection. There may be a couple of others here with postal cancels. Note that anything reading "stamp office", "stamp duties", "stamp department" are fiscal/revenue usages. With partial cancels, those can be hard to tell.

I am amused by the "Not Liable" stamp, applied to documents brought to the stamp office that were not taxable. Ahh, bureaucracy!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   04:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that tip hy-brasil. Im a little partial to them but ultimately, as everyone is well aware, still quite 'green' to collecting. I am trying.. But theres more coming.(world domination of these will be mine one day ha!) Once I have the latest lots I will do exactly as you say and divide the collection. The links provided by all have given me a lot of reading material and I should gear up some knowledge resulting in, hopefully, a more aesthetically pleasing and informative presentation.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3534 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rather than starting a new topic, I thought I would just add this Samoa Stamp Duty example here. It has an embossed marking (see back). The cancellation was enhanced using Retroreveal to show initials, and a "...APIA, Western Samoa". Could not see a watermark. Torn corner, but my only example, so into the album it goes.

Thanks for looking.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,711Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05