Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postmaster Gs "Stamp Fix"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27529 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Still having a Love / Hate relationship with this software.
Normal format stamps, are an absolute breeze, this software has saved me untold hours of work.

Then we get to larger format stamps, and dashed if I can get it to work
Question 1 Size ? is that the size of the stamp top then side?
Question 2. If one makes an error in a trial, the result ends up blank. Is there a way to get back to before the trial? or does one have to load default options and start the trial as again?

Was this software perhaps made mainly for Mac?

Is 600dpi large format scans too high for the software?

This scan (was 600dpi) failed any and multiple tries at "stampfix"
Thanks for any advice from users.
The best I could get was little green squares surrounding the UPU icon.

Send note to Staff
Edited by rod222 - 11/14/2019 7:28 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2109 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

The min and max sizes are the minimum and maximum sizes of the boxes that the software draws around the stamps, in pixels. So, with larger stamps or larger DPIs, you'll need a larger max size. The software will handle larger DPIs, but it's really dependent on your computer's memory.

If you're processing single stamps in bulk, there isn't really any way to preview the results before they generate. If processing a single stamp not in bulk, if you don't want to have to go back and forth to the settings, try this:

1. Use the Batch Image function. It's designed to batch a bunch of images from a single scan, but it'll also do singles.
2. Once the image is loaded, tweak the min/max and threshold settings until you get a single box around the stamp, and the number at lower left is a "1", indicating there are no additional boxes hidden somewhere on the screen. (If this doesn't make sense, re-watch the final video on the StampFix download page).
3. Hit Naming, and it will bring up a screen that allows you to fine tune the result before generating.

When I get back to my desktop this afternoon, I'll make you a quick tutorial video using the image you provided.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2109 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just realized the "Size" boxes on the Batch Image screen aren't actually labeled Min and Max, and that's probably adding to the confusion. Those are the min/max sizes of the green boxes. Set the min low and the max high, then narrow them until you have eliminated any excess boxes.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27529 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, Postmaster.
Taking all on board, and will spend time this evening practising.

Do you need my 600dpi scan? if so, I can email to your site.

I am thinking also, my memory issues, I am due for a new computer, just have not pulled the trigger as yet.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2109 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Go ahead and email it so I can recreate the process as accurately as possible.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2109 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Also, please send me what your current default settings are.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27529 Posts
Posted 11/14/2019   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster.
Batch Image settings shown (Batch Image is the process that fails) all others are fabulous.

I cannot give you default settings
"Load default settings" does not give any indication of what they are.

Or, do I load a scan that I know will work?

PS: This window size is the Max, some stamps remain hidden sometimes,
unless moved by the adj bars.
Plus "Reprocess" never seems to do anything? can you explain its purpose please.

Caveat: I have not re viewed your online Youtube assistance again as yet,
perhaps all is explained there, sorry, if that is the case.

PPS when I reloaded "Factory defaults" when I retried, I had no idea where the images were sent to, Perhaps a thing for you to address?

This fails
Edited by rod222 - 11/14/2019 11:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2109 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I sent you an e-mail with a link to a video with some tips, but I didn't see your PPS before I did the video. When you re-loaded the defaults, it reset the output folder. (1) Click the "Batch" button; (2) reset it to your desired location, then (3) make sure the Target box is checked.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27529 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again, Postmaster.
Look forward to putting it through its paces.
One of my most used pieces of software...........
I appreciate your time, on my behalf.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just started using stampfix today for single images.
Easy to use program, great work Postmaster, thank you.

Only issue I have is the drastic degradation of the image.

Here are 2 examples.

Original image on the left 2.96 MB On the right after stampfix straightened and cropped it 1.35 MB

Original 11.1 MB stampfix 5.26 MB
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27529 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LG,
Personal Observation.
1. I can scan a single stamp at say 400Mb,
I "save" the image again in ACDSee, looks the same in detail, yet the saved image is 236Kb.

With Stampfix, I scan an entire platen (say 30 stamps) into 3 passes...say 10 stamps each pass at 600dpi.

I then use stampfix to auto deskew and crop each 10 stamp scan.
The result (for me personally) is as good as any stamp scanned by itself at 600dpi.
It saves me hours of work, and the scans are ideal for me in presentation.

I am interested in your perspective, you seem to like high def pictures.

I have never used stampfix for single stamps, I use Picasa, for ease of deskew fine tuning.

PS Are you aware you can "pad" the deskew in stampfix (ie increase the "blackspace" around the perforations. ?

Edited by rod222 - 11/15/2019 8:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2109 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving,

Anytime you apply any type of processing to an image, there's going to be degradation. It's not generally noticeable with high-end programs like Photoshop, etc., because they put a lot of R&D into their algorithms in an attempt to minimize the quality loss.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck working with publicly available methods, in this case OpenCV, which aren't as good at limiting the quality loss.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27529 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have never used stampfix for single stamps, I use Picasa, for ease of deskew fine tuning.

Ooops, correction, I DO load single stamps, sometimes up to 30 stamps,
and do a "batch file" deskew.
It's terrific for that.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Postmaster, I wasn't meaning to be critical just
stating what I found.
It's a very useful program you developed, thanks again.

So far I've been using FastStone Image Viwer where I first
rotate to straighten the image and then crop it.
It's all manual and by eye and rarely do I get it totally 100%
straight or crop it perfectly on all sides.

The only plus is that there is very little loss but
I suppose it doesn't really matter since I can only
upload here up to 200KB anyway.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4720 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, I scan all my stamps at 1200dpi.
Both of the examples above were scanned at 1200 dpi but
one ended up with 2.6 MB and the other 11.1 MB

I fill up a few rows of stamps plump as possible by eye
on a clean Hagner, hit preview, isolate and zoom in one stamp
at a time & scan.
If the scanned image needs straightening or cropping I
do it with FastStone Image Viwer.
I haven't used Picasa for years.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27529 Posts
Posted 11/16/2019   03:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks LG, Interesting.

Postmaster,
Wow! what a brilliant Tutorial you sent. You Sir, are a natural.
Everything is just spot on. No problems encountered.

You should consider having that tutorial on your site. It all makes sense now.

FYI
1. I always place stamps on the scanner platen in similar formats (sizes and shapes) as this helps in surrounding them with my scanner carousel.
2. I never place horiz stamps vertically, as I sent you, that was my desperation in finding a "green box"

I had never used "Naming" before, that is going to be interesting as well.

Copious thanks Postmaster.
Made my day.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05