Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Assistance In Dating A Cover Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
628 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Laurie 02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So by my reconning I get mid 1862 rose #65 but is there anything on the cover like the cancel that could date it?

And the stamp...
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
657 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has to be later than 1863 since Chisago Lake was a PO from 1863-1877
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
628 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   05:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent info thank you Glenn!
So the stamp is printed mid 1862 and usage is from 1863
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Assistance in Dating A Cover Please"

Keep cool, walk right up, and ask the cover for a date. What's the worst that can happen? So the cover says, 'No'. There are more fish in the sea.

Oh, that's not what you meant? I got nothing for you. Sorry.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
628 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
0_o
Pillar Of The Community
United States
993 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   7:26 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laurie, how are you figuring that it's '63, just asking.

This stamp was printed in 55 different hues/shades, all depending on the year and part of the year. The shades are well documented.

From your image, it's not possible for anyone to know the actual shade/hue of this stamp. But from what I've learned about this issue, and I've studied it for a good 7-8 years now, most of the muted, lighter hues were later in the years rather than earlier. '65 - '67 are where we find more dull and pale colors.

So, I thought I'd toss that out there....I've got at least 75 covers with the 1863 date, many late October, November, and nothing with a stamp with a color as light as your image.... BUT, I do have them in '65 and '66 with colors that light.

My guess is '65 or '66....hope this is helpful, Ray
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
628 Posts
Posted 11/15/2019   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ray Mac I got the Scott colour chart for this stamp and it matches the rose that was used for the printing from mid 1862 to the next change of colour.
Same with me I have over 300 stamps 64 and 65 all different colours!
Cheers
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05