Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kkk Postcard

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this with some other covers and postcards I got. I can't find anything on it, could be a modern reprint or just a dummied up postcard.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Knudson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting but raises a couple of historical questions. Was the official Klan even in existence in 1910? They went through a few periods of dissolution and rebirth. Did they refer to their chapters as "Wig-wams"; something the American Party did in the mid 1800s? As far as I know they were referred to as Klaverns but that may have been the third uprise.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5709 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I borrowed the following from a Canadian canoe enthusiasts' website:

"KKK was the abbreviated name of Kamp Kahkou, which became Keewaydin in 1903. Somehow the KKK logo continued to be used until 1993."

They also used the term wigwams, according to this same site.

No nefarious connections.

Collin
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampdog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also found nothing about wigwams and KKK which is why I figured it was a dummied up postcard, but nonetheless interesting. Makes one wonder why someone would dummy this up in the first place, probably trying to sell it for whatever they could get for it as a novelty.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1755 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David Giles to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it would tie into the Simpsons TV show... KKK... Krusty's Komedy Klassics.

David
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampdog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1656 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampdog if you read Collin's post it does explain the card .

David

Edited by nuggethill - 02/07/2010 5:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2460 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott doesn't seem to list this card.
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9741 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand from the generation before me that my locale in the Hudson Valley was "Klan country" during the 1920's, 1930's. We stopped in a park in Fort Meyers Florida in the 1990's and there were these idiotic looking guys in green silk robes and hoods..there were also several guys with F.B. I. on their caps watching very closely..we ate our ham sandwiches and moved on !
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
Posted 02/07/2010   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampdog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the info.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 04/05/2014   03:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a dirty little family secret for you- In our family in one of my grandparents attics there is a non-descriptive and rather innocuous looking box that contains 2 KKK suits. Hoods and all. They look to be from the early part of the last century maybe the 00's - early teens? Anyhow no one seems to know anything about them (how convienient) or where they came from. The one is a deep red with quarter moons on it and the "hat" is irregular and not a standard white hood but has like a pole off the top not unlike a German pickelhelb but bears a cross on-top made of some gold plated tin I suspect? Anyhow they won't sell or donate them because of the fear of their names being associated with them in any way. I don't blame them for that. Anyway, to this very day they exist in that hot old attic in that box. Gives me the chills actually. I would like to do research on them but I think I'll just let it well alone. I was always curious about them and where they came from though. I tell you this though, they have nothing to do with canoeing! The only clue is a note that says "the birth of a nation" on the one?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3639 Posts
Posted 04/05/2014   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was at the Ephemera Society show in Old Greenwich CT a few weeks back, and I was startled by the variety of wildly racist postcards, photographs, drawings, etc, available for purchase.

It was only on the way home that it occurred to me to start asking the dealers if, like old sewing machines or old cameras or old typewriters in store windows, the racial stuff is what gets shoppers to stop, or if the stuff actually sells.

Q/ How about picking an appropriate date, and just burning the hoodies?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5826 Posts
Posted 04/06/2014   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a shame they won't donate them, at this point they are museum pieces. There can't be many around.
Philatelically, this type of material, Nazi, Klan, etc. has always been popular to collect.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 04/15/2016   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2526 Posts
Posted 04/15/2016   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There may be more klan postcards around than most people think. Back in 1974, during my 2nd year of teaching in South Carolina, I encountered a young lad holding a large stack of postcards, and passing them out to students before school. I was shocked to see that he was handing out full color postcards of a KKK "grand dragon" in full, lime green regalia sans hood. The boy proudly explained to me that his daddy let the klan use their power for their loudspeakers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3639 Posts
Posted 04/15/2016   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A K.K.K. card that is not from or about the K.K.K.?

One of the categories I collect is labelled "coincidences".

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05