Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spencer F Baird Stamp Collection In NMnh

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
61 Posts
Posted 11/16/2019   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone here know anything about his collection. I have the link to the 1989 article about him and stamps but have not gotten past the wall at the Smithsonian Inst. just yet. Really chasing down some important aspects of archaeological work he had done in the 1870s. Should lead to a really good article if it pans out like it looks like it will.. Thanks, Andy

Rivinus, Edward F. (1989). "Spencer Fullerton Baird: the collector of collectors". American Philatelist. 103 (11): 10611065. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3718 Posts
Posted 11/16/2019   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
Posted 11/17/2019   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, there certainly is a wealth of information on him available. I'm trying to track down material related to one particular episode in 1877 and found out about his stamp collection. There is a page on the Smithsonian site about it but it just lists the reference I put in above. thanks,Andy here is the summary from the stamp collection page- Need to edit my title as it went to the USNM then the NPC

Popular article documenting the career and contributions of Spencer F. Baird. Includes biographical information, but focuses on Baird's interest in philately and the gift, by Mary Baird, of his stamp collection to the USNM, and eventually the National Philatelic Collection.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05