Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identify Japanese Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
48 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rrogers to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am having difficulty identifying this stamp...can anyone help?

Thanks
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France
747 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A revenue stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27490 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Japanese revenue. Unable to date it at the moment.
Fairly late. I would suggest.
Not aware if the L08-4 is a catalogue number.

Valued Member
Canada
48 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rrogers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod222. I was pretty sure it was a revenue stamp of some sort but I could not find it in Forbin catalogue. Maybe too recent? Any translations of the text on the stamp?
Cheers
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27490 Posts
Posted 11/18/2019   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any translations of the text on the stamp?

We need SCF member "Unechan" for that, he drops in occasionally.

1948 is latest catalogue I can find
http://ssjp.dk/eng/revenue/overviewrev.html

Your stamp has nice burelage.
Edited by rod222 - 11/18/2019 10:13 pm
Valued Member
Canada
48 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rrogers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222 thanks for that link. I have some of the revenues depicted.
Hopefully "Unechan" will see my post and reply.
Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
United States
763 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The text on the stamp is short enough that I was able to figure it out.

TOP: Nippon Seifu (Japanese Government)
BOTTOM LEFT: Shny Inshi (Revenue Stamp)
BOTTOM RIGHT: Goj En (Fifty Yen)
Valued Member
Canada
48 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rrogers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks erilaz for the translations.
Any idea in what years this particular stamp may have been used?
Cheers
Randy
Pillar Of The Community
United States
780 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the Shimomura revenue catalog, this is identified as [general] revenue stamp #126. The catalog value in the 2003 edition is 60 unused and 30 used, so of modest value.

The catalog lists a range of dates for this series (the "2nd Showa" series), ranging from 1954 to 1963. The 3rd Showa series starts in 1975, so I'd presume the 2nd series was in use until at least that time.
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Edited by Philatarium - 11/21/2019 11:55 am
Valued Member
Canada
48 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rrogers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Philatarium,
Thank you for that very helpful information.
I'm now wondering if you would provide more detail on the 2nd Showa series...

How many stamps in the series?
Are they all the same size?
Catalogue #s, face values, and colors?

A scan of the catalog page(s) would be helpful.

I would like to create an album page for the series.

Many Thanks
Randy
Pillar Of The Community
United States
780 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Randy,

I've taken camera pics of the 5 relevant pages of the 2003 Shimomura catalog. Be aware that it is primarily in Japanese, but you'll be able to answer most of your questions with it.

However, there is a newer publisher of a Japanese revenue catalog, Furuya. (I think he may have taken over after the passing of Mr. Shimomura, but I could be wrong.)

I don't have that catalog, but I have seen a scan or two from it. The images are mostly or entirely in color, which could be more helpful to you. I'm not sure how much more English it contains, but I don't think it's a lot.

If someone here has that catalog, I hope they would share those images with you or the board.

Having said that, I'll try to contact you through the board to get your email address so that I can send you the Shimomura 2003 images directly.
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Valued Member
Canada
48 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rrogers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Philatarium
Have not seen email from you
try rrogers at devuna dot com
Thanks
Randy
Pillar Of The Community
United States
780 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the follow up on here, Randy. I did send out a message through this system that day, but there could be any number of reasons why it didn't go through.

I've just now sent you a direct email to the address you supplied above, so please feel free to edit your message to remove or obscure your email address, if you'd like.

I hope the pages prove to be helpful to you!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05