Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 591- What Perfin Is This..?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 712Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
7146 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys
Not and expert on American stamps..I have what I think is a Scott 591 that has a precancel, but have NO idea what the perfin is.
Any help appreciated. Stamp not in the best shape.

And if a stamp has a perfin already, why precancel over top..?

Robert

Send note to Staff

United States
1 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add larhand to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HI,
Also not an expert but the left side appears to be a "J" and the right side appears to be a very lazy "S". It's a guess no matter how one looks at it. Next time try using a white background so the perfs aren't so hard to see behind the precancel black lines.
Good luck,
Larry
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7146 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Larry
I think it looks more like a capital "I"..
Robert

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2920 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scan from the back side against a black background to eliminate the distractions of the front.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
490 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ferfins are a security measure to keep employees from stealing the stamps. There is no postal benefit. Pre-cancels are used to get a lower postage rate when mailing because they are cancelled already and do not need to be handled as much. The two have nothing to do with each other.

I am sure that wert is correct about the capital I. The second letter might be an R if the letters are punched to be read from the back.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2426 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
this precancel was applied at the time the stamp was printed in Washington DC, the perfin came later at the user's mailroom
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2426 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
perfin is IB used by Irving Berlin Inc.
Pillar Of The Community
7146 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First of all..John old buddy, I took a scan of this stamp over a year ago, and is packed in boxes some where...Could take me till the new year to find it...haha

I used a program to make colour differences as shown..It is definitely a capital "I"

The right perfin looks a lot like a "&" sign.
I have been using the link below to find it, without much luck.
http://zenius.kalnieciai.lt/america...usa/usa.html

Quote:
perfin is IB used by Irving Berlin Inc.
..huuuummm
Edited by wert - 11/19/2019 8:37 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Consider the Perfin, may appear in 4 forms.
Reversed, upside down, etc.
I'd agree with Chasa, Irving Berlin

missed the dot below the E
Edited by rod222 - 11/19/2019 8:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7146 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys..i will call it Irving Berlin Inc.

Thanks..Robert

Edited by wert - 11/19/2019 9:38 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the right side appears to be a very lazy "S"

If the perfin is IB, then all the curvy S-ish stuff on the right side of the stamp would be the rest of the B.

Please don't "duh" me if this is too obvious.
Valued Member
Austria
176 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's definitely IB
Pillar Of The Community
7146 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks tommtomm

Neat trick with the overlap...I will try that technique..
Yes, definitely "IB"
Robert
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 712Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05