Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1859 Bahamas One Penny Stamp

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
54 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bailey500 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'd like some feedback on this stamp's perfs., condition ans value based on the Stamp Analyzer app. I'm not very good with measuring and the pictures don't usually turn out very well.
Thank you.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3323 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your program calculated the perfs completely wrong, probably because it is picking up the dashes on the left side, not the stamp. You can see this by the placement of the lines. You need to remove it from the paper and redo on a black background to be sure.

If watermarked, it is probably Scott 20. If unwatermarked, probably Scott 16. Good luck!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Poland
69 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   04:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sopotsopot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First, determine what the watermark is and what perforation.
For example, if the perforation is 11 1/2 and there is no watermark then it is SG12 CV 850 Pounds, If the perforation 12 and the Crown CA watermark is only 12 CV.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bailey500 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great. Thank you so much. I'll give an update once I have the watermark info and perf. Correct.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bailey500 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Help again please. There is not watermark that I can see. As stated earlier, I am horrible at measuring perfs. Can anyone interpret these measurements for me. Thank you. Sorry pics are rotated. Tried to reposition. No luck.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28074 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am horrible at measuring perfs.

No you're not, you just need to be taught how to do it.

Place the perforation guage flat, and vertical in front of you, on the desk.
Hold the stamp in your tweezers, at the bottom of the stamp, and place it on top of the perforation guage, in a rough position where the "Teeth" (at the top of the stamp), line up with the vertical lines, still holding it with the tweezers.

Slide the stamp slowly up and down the guage, until the teeth match perfectly with the vertical lines (stamp has to be square with the guage)
Then read at the left whatever guage is printed thereon.

We know it is around 12, so slide up and down until it is smack on, either
12 or 12.5 (or any other number)
With practice it is a lot of fun.
You can then do the same process on the side of the stamps if you so wish.

Post back if you have problems.

Edited by rod222 - 11/20/2019 7:06 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28074 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

In your last two images, the stamp is not really square with the guage.
BUT, it is showing Perf somewhere between 10.3 and 10.4...OK?

BUT, the vertical lines do not match at each tooth tip, so, move the top of the stamp downwards until they do.............

Easy peasy ?

Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   7:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bailey500 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Easy Peasy. Not quite right but closer. It seems to be a 1959 No watermark, perf. 14. But I'm not sure the scott's number or value. Any ideas?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28074 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

You got there, but upside down Hehehe
Ideally you should have the stamp the right way up, but no big deal.

OK Perf 14 makes it Stanley Gibbons # 33 Typo De la Rue Scarlet Vermilion 1877
If it were aniline ink it would be Brit Pounds 1,400 but I highly doubt it, not known used.
Value 15pds 1993
Should be Wmk Crown CC,

UPDATE: It also could be 1882 SG#42 Crown CA Wmk P14

I have a very foggy memory these stamps were sometimes printed on differing paper, whereby the Watermark does not appear.
Don't quote me.
Transfer that date to your Scott catalogue number
Good Luck

PS definitely NOT a 1959
Edited by rod222 - 11/20/2019 8:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bailey500 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not aniline ink. I did not see a Stanley Gibbons #33; I'll do some more research. What is your take on the value? Also, since your Username is Australia, are you very familiar with Australian Stamps. I have a few I'd like opinions on...Can you help? If so do I post here or start another post? Thank you again!
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Am I seeing things or there is an A in the watermark right on top of the crown? The watermark on this stamp is most likely broken in two. Likely letters CA at the top of the stamp and part of the crown at the bottom. If it is watermarked crown CA then it should be Scott #20, SG #42. My 2016 Scott says value at $75 US. Also, there is reversed watermark variety, which has some premium. From your photo it looks like C is to the left of A making it a reverse variety. However, you need to get a better shot at watermark. Maybe something like wet scanning.

The question I have for experts in the area, is this stamp a fiscal use?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28074 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The question I have for experts in the area, is this stamp a fiscal use?

Yes, Fiscal.
I was aware Bailey had possibly not watermarked fully, just addressing one thing at a time.
Also not aware if this may be fugitive ink, that always worries me when advising others.
SG#42 sounds best to me, used priced was GBP15 if I recall 1993

Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bailey500 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you again. I am confused re: the fugitive ink in relation to this stamp.
Valued Member
United States
472 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod

Prices went up a bit. My 2016 Scott Classic says $75 US for used. But since this is a fiscal use, wouldn't it be worth much less.

Bailey

Anyhow, the actual price of the stamp is about a quarter of Catalog Value with some exceptions.

Here is the link to a fiscally used Scott 20 which is NOT selling at $25

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/ba...cel/17952998

Your's may do better if it is a Reversed watermarked variety. My 2006 SG does not have a price for it in used condition, only mint.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bailey500 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of info. Thank you. I'm attempting to sort through 9 books of stamps:
(2) Empire Stamp Album for US Block Plates. (95% Complete)
International Postage Stamp Album Part I-III
White Ace Historical Album of Commemorative issues
Plus a a few random books.
Here's are my questions, first, what is the best online source to reference worldwide stamps and pricing, list of important stamps by country?
I am aware that most of the stamps are worth less than .28. However, the collector was prolific. He passed away in 2005. I bought the entire collection from his granddaughter for 150.00. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   03:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bailey500 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great. Thank you so much. I'll give an update once I have the watermark info and perf. Correct.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05