Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Denmark Plating Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
6 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Saylor1971 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, Can anyone recommend a good reference book for plating early Danish Stamps - up to the 1864 issue?
I have "The Postage Stamps of Denmark 1851-1951" published in 1951 and it's somewhat helpful but isn't helping me identify different printings of Ferslew vs Thiele etc. Would the Facit catalogue for Denmark help?

Thanks in advance
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28106 Posts
Posted 11/19/2019   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can post the 1864 -1868 Royal Emblem Plating, if that is your wish.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an earlier thread from user Sorsh on the plating of early Danish stamps including the bicolors. I believe there are also other threads from Sorsh that deal with this topic

http://goscf.com/t/52341
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Saylor1971 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Take this 1851 watermarked crown 4rs.

It's very likely not a Ferslew as it has a numeral cancel

But then which Thiele print is it? Is the only way to tell the color?

Rod, yes please post the plating for the 1864 issue if you don't mind.

I saw the other posts with Sorush and he named the printing but didn't explain why.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28106 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Royal Emblems 1864-1868
Source: The American Philatelist 1955
5 pages.

This is all I have.

Edited by rod222 - 11/20/2019 7:38 pm
Valued Member
421 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is Thiele II Dark redbrown.

determining the right print is required to be able to fully plate it.

Ferlev and thiele I + II uses plate I and II, Thiele III uses plate III and IV.

for plating these issues there are 3 small books (old books, but in both danish and english). There is also a small section in the specialized danish AFA special (not that good and not in english)

Facit is probably the best option as an english speaker - but really inaccurate.

best way to get those 3 books is keep an eye on danish auctionhouses or perhaps eBay.

in regards to telling which print apart.

ferslev, thiele I and II, are quite dark, to tell thiele I from the others you look at the burlage in the paper, which is very faint to non existant.
the others have clear burlage, ferslev has kobberburlage which is sort of "on top of the paper" so it's often visible in the cancellation. thiele II is worn plates, and one is very dark towards black, so if's not like that, and has no burlage like ferslev or thiele I, it's a dark redbrown.

telling thiele III apart requires experience and reference material.

another interesting thing with your stamp is that it has a grain of sand in the paper, these often fall out and are wrongly referred to as pinholes.
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Saylor1971 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod for posting that - will take a closer look when I get to the '64 issue.

Sorush, this is incredibly helpful - thank you for posting this. I will seek out those books. I'm at the beginning of developing a stamp and postal history collection(hopefully eventually an exhibit) of Denmark up to the 1864 issue.

Will show different printings, examples on cover to different destinations with rates etc.

I picked this up at a recent auction
Valued Member
421 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would definately expand to bicolored, this is the "lighthouse" of danish philately, an emission that lasted 30 years. There's so much possibility in this area.

There are books regarding 1864 issue, but the best tool is the computer program TOFDATA, made by Lasse Nielsen.

it's free to use, and can be downloaded from tofarvet.dk.

there's also several articles (in danish) regarding this issue, and since this is the first perforated issue in denmark, there are several interesting curiousities to be found.

i'll be happy to assist with various questions, and i'm pleased someone on the other side of the pond find danish stamps interesting.
Valued Member
United States
6 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Saylor1971 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Sorush, I really like these classic era stamps from Denmark.

Do you do postal history as well? Do you know of a good online source for Danish postal rates in these early periods? If not then a book reference?
Valued Member
421 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   04:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Henrik Mouritsen has recently published his lifes work on danish postal history.. it's a costly thing, but noone knows more than him.

http://www.henrikmouritsen.dk/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05