Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Keeping Stamps Dry While Moving Collections?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

4 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cagixi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I'd need to move my small collection along with my other belongings, which means that they'll be in unfriendly, extremely humid air conditions for about a month.
I was thinking about putting the whole album in a thick cardboard box and putting it in a plastic bag which I will tie shut, however I'd prefer to hear your advice since I fear the cardboard won't ve enough to get rid of humid air and I might still end up with them sticking to the album.

Thank you
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
7556 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   10:45 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would wrap them up in a plastic garbage bag with a copious amount of desiccant (silica gel).
https://www.deltaadsorbents.com/How...se-Desiccant
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   01:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That would be packs of silica gel, which come in bigger packs than what comes in food packages, etc. So unless you have a big hoard of accumulated tiny packs, a couple 25 gram packs in the plastic bag containing the album works. Then into the box with more packs to keep all as dry as you can. It's good for storing tools the same way, too.
Pillar Of The Community
683 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely buy bags of dessicant or silica gel and add them to each box. That will help a lot. One popular brand is "Damp Rid" which can be purchased in packets or large bags. Note that te bags you put it in must be breathable so don't put it into plastic baggies. That won't work. I save every silica packet I ever see. Often they come with packages or clothing or whatever. They all go into a shoe box for later.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05