Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

WW2 Definitive Issues ??

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 464Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
410 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Anthraquinone to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I collect Canada and they issued a series of definitive stamps specifically for WW2 Unitrade 249 onward.

Perhaps collectors of other countries will know if any other country issue such a series I cannot find any ?

AQ

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United Kingdom
252 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Err.. how about the UK? The printers had used Inks made in Europe and during the war they issued new colours and values of definitives in duller paler colours. I read somewhere this was because the inks were diluted with White spirit. Though this sounds a bit unlikely to me as surely the consistency of the ink matters and if you double the volume of ink with thinners surely the ink won't work in the same way. South Africa produced the miniature Bantam stamps. Your question is a bit vague, what are stamps specifically for WW2? I'm sure that the Germans produced a lot of new definitives for conquered territories.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
410 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess because I collect these I knew exactly what I meant - sorry. Before the war Canada had a set of "normal" definitives with the king on the low values in civilian dress and various image son the higher vales. The war isle had he King in uniform and the higher values had a tank, a corvette, a munitions factory and a destroyer on the different values. The airmail showed fighters.

I did not think any other country in the empire did this and I wondered about the rest of the world. I had forgotten about South Africa - thanks.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Norway issued a set of stamps depicting war-related scenes: ships, aircraft, etc. No catalog handy at the moment.

And, perhaps the Polish exile government too.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Russia has a lot of war-related stamps, both I can't recall any definitive series like you describe.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
France
1199 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Norway V (hope of victory) definitives(1941)
Michel # 237/56 & 257

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In response to the Norway V stamps, I have a question. Were they issued by the military occupation government/fascist puppet government or the Norway government in exile?

OK, I just did a little Wikipedia research. The king and pre-war government escaped to London, so I'm guessing these stamps were issued in London.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4947 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - London issue, but, from memory, may have been used in Norway after the liberation. Also a Dutch London set.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have an ongoing philatelic project to distinguish war-era European stamps between legitimate government issues and "occupation" issues.
Edited by Trainwreck - 11/21/2019 2:22 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 464Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05