Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

PNC Values For Used Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Germany
2 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dr.J20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. I collected the US since 1974, but now have refined this to CSA and PNCs. I use the german Michel USA specialized catalogue. (I did buy a Lynns and Scott on Amazon recently, but Amazon isn't that fast anymore as it used to be).

So I have prices for unused and used regular stamp, unused and used for a single stamp with a PNC, plus only unused prices for pairs, strips of 3 and strips of 5.

I do have a lot of larger units in used condition.
Is there a rough way to determine pricing for these used stamps?

Thanks in advance,
Juergen
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2079 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   01:17 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The market is rather thin for used PNC strips, so there are no catalogs that list values for them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   02:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Usages of strips for rates other than standard first class would be out-of-period usages, and typically on philatelic mail. The reason for all those otherwise oddball rates was to allow one stamp to be used on a particular type of mailing.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
660 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Juergen!

I think that the Scott catalog will have the info you are looking for:
Pricing on used PNC strips. I believe it is the price of the used PNC single plus the price of a used non-PNC single time as many non-PNCs are in the strip.
If you are interested in USA PNCs, I'd like to suggest a great website: www.PNC3.org
Also if you have any used PNC singles available for trade, please keep me in mind...

Dave N.
Mississippi, USA
<><
Germany
2 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dr.J20 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your answers!
I noticed, that the market for used larger units is thin (couldn't find any on eBay). But suppose I would have the 1982 Consumer Education 20c stamp in a nice (really) used strip of 5 with plate number 2. That would not be just the single used stamp with Pl.# plus 4 ordinary used stamps? At least for the years until maybe 1986 larger used units should be rated somehow higher (if only for my sentimental value).
I do not know the real word in english (in german it's ''echt gelaufen''), what I mean with ''really used'' is not getting a cancellation from the friendly person at your local post office, or even a letter from one stamp collector to another on (or to himself).
@Dave: I do have a lot, just bought another 200 or so here in Germany - many should be available for trading.
Learn More...
7398 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   3:26 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please note: buy/sell/trade is not allow here until a member has 50+ posts.
Don
Valued Member
United States
305 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Juergen,

While Dave is correct about valuing strips, you are right as well. Older strips (between 1981 and 1986) do sometimes have a premium value for the strips that are rare or hard to find. I know of only one dealer who stocks and sells used strips, but I don't know what the demand is for those longer strips. If nothing else, you can list them on eBay yourself at the price you want and see what happens.

I don't know of an English term to describe "really used", but I've seen descriptions of covers created for stamp collectors/dealers called "philatelic covers".

Like Dave, I'm interested in singles you may have to trade especially the 32 Flag Over Porch issue as I'm building an exhibit around that stamp.

Thanks,

Scott
Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2079 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   11:21 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct that used strips of of some PNC's should be valued above the value of a used PNC single plus the plain used singles (especially if the number is in the middle of the strip), but it I difficult to determine what the premium should be.
The only "natural" (non-philatelic) strips that should exist would be the one ounce stamp (people would use a strip of them to overpay on a heavier item out of convenience) or te additional ounce rate (which businesses that mailed lots of heavier envelopes would have on hand). During the 18c and 20c rate, the additional ounce rate was 17c and I bought an auction lot that has a lot of 17c auto strips, but most of them (all?) have heavier cancels.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do not know the real word in english (in german it's ''echt gelaufen''), what I mean with ''really used'' is not getting a cancellation from the friendly person at your local post office, or even a letter from one stamp collector to another on (or to himself).

If the stamp is still on a cover I would call it "commercially used". If it has already been soaked off then it is just "used"; no way to tell if it had been favor cancelled or a philatelic use.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05