Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

That Demographic Problem

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3883 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

It sure is nice to have company, especially for the holidays.

Enough talking about our demographic problem: it is too depressing.

This thread is for documenting (gossiping about) The Other Hobby's demographic problem ...

... whatever that hobby might be.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who really enjoys Don's it was always an old guy's hobby posts)
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
7417 Posts
Posted 11/20/2019   4:08 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Enough of the millennials, WE are the majority now!

Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was, "Does that guy have a bunch of postcards from all over the world from his buddies?"
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
770 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly, he may be a stamp collector too, but more than likely he has all kinds of QSL cards from everyone he has communicated with.

And from the picture he did it old school, and newer with a key for morse code and microphone by long and shortwave via Amplitude and Frequency Modulation. Nice linear amplifiers. Wish I had one of those in my CB Radio days when I was chasing skip from USA, Poland and Greenland.
Edited by No1philatelist - 11/21/2019 9:18 pm
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those who may be interested, here is the information that goes with the Dec. 2019 QST cover photo that IkeyPikey posted.

"Our Cover. As the end-of-year holiday season approaches, many of us become sentimental, with thoughts turning to the time we've enjoyed on the air. Here, QST's own "Doctor," Joel Hallas, W1ZR, has stopped in at W1AW, the Hiram Percy Maxim Memorial Station at ARRL Headquarters, to send good wishes to ham friends near and far. Speaking of which, check out the new "Celebrating Our Legacy" column on page 99 of this issue. It features hams' reminiscences of their on-air friends, mentors, and their early days in Amateur Radio. Season's Greetings to our members, from all of us at QST. We'll see you in 2020!"

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3883 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Q/ No suggestions that ARRL members give kids their spare vacuum tubes to interest them in the hobby ?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gslaten to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I didn't think about that...but it is sure a good idea.

It worked for me when I was a kid. I developed a number of interests that have served me well through life due to the generosity of several mentors, amateur radio being one and stamp collecting being another.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
51 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   01:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mestephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just a mere shortwave listener, but I still have my old Drake SW-4A receiver on my bookshelf. Back in the mid 60s, I loved to stay up all night and scan the airwaves for hams. Nothing like listening from California to conversations from the Mid West in the middle of winter. Makes me want to go dig up all my old QSL cards from back then.
Edited by mestephil - 11/22/2019 01:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
772 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   02:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My cousin is a ham radio operator, or at least used to be. It's not something I've ever done, but I bought a couple of QSL cards featuring the Japanese pop trio Candies at WESTPEX in 2015:

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05