Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone ID This Victorian Postmark?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1975 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jimjamtwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a double-circle relief cds from a place whose name seems to end in "WONG." However, I can find no evidence of such a place - and POOWONG is the only plausible contender - being issued a double-circle cds.

While some of the double-circle cancels are extremely common, others are extremely rare. Diamond Creek, for example, is rated 5R. So it's entirely possible that this is the first example to be discovered. The problem is I really can't think of any alternatives to Poowong. Is the first letter a "P"?

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27466 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All the "Wongs" in Victoria

East Poowong
Narrawong
Poowong
Poowong East
Poowong North
Poowong South
Tawonga
Tawonga South
Towong
Towong Racecourse
Towong Upper
Wonga
Wonga Park
Wonga Wonga
Wongarra
Yarrawonga
Yarrawonga R.S.
Yawong
Wongan Hills
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1975 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has to end in "WONG," and it has to have been a place that had a post office that was open in 1912, so that narrows it down to just a couple. Could I be wrong about the "W"?

On this type of cancel, it states in the Prestige Philately catalogue for Auction 190:

"This pattern of relief datestamp was used in Victoria between 1904 & the early-1920s. They were made-up from moveable type & used for short periods while a standard datestamp was being repaired or withdrawn. All are rare to exceedingly rare. Perhaps fewer than 100 examples in total have been recorded. After standard 'RELIEF' datestamps were introduced in the 1930s, the Victorian "skeletons" saw further use in Tasmania!"

So I was wrong when I wrote that some are extremely common - I was confusing this type of double-circle cds with another.

Edited by jimjamtwo - 11/21/2019 5:28 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27466 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could I be wrong about the "W"?

I don't think so, looks like POOWONG to me.

Aptly named....Carrion=Rotting flesh

According to Bunce's Language of the Aborigines of the Colony of Victoria (1859), Poowong is an Aboriginal word meaning carrion.
Edited by rod222 - 11/21/2019 5:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1907 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1. If there are just a couple, what are they?
2. If ending in G, then that obscure letter at left is the first and looks like C, G, O or Q.
3. Anybody who says Geelong gets sent to the penalty box; I doubt it's that. Looks like spacing for 3-4 letters before W. That does look like a W to me.
4. And you might back up and look based on the ONG ending.
Edited by hy-brasil - 11/21/2019 6:23 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27466 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
New understanding for me, Victorian "collared Relief postmarks"
or, "Double circle skeleton" types.
Examples
Source Prestige Philately.

Edited by rod222 - 11/21/2019 6:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1907 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, skeletons do not have a symmetrical layout, so my guesses would not be valid in that case.
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? - Sherlock Holmes

jimjamtwo - Why do you think it is not Poowong?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1975 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Because the Premier Postal Auctions database does not list a DC relief cds for Poowong. That said, these are so rare that this could be the first time one has been sighted from this office.

Here's another one that's difficult to read. I think it can only be Caramut (an example of which is listed by Premier Postal). This would seem to be the second example discovered from this office.

I also have OUYEN on cover as well as two fragments with part cds.
Edited by jimjamtwo - 11/22/2019 08:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1975 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What about this one? Can anyone id it?

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27466 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JEETHO VICTORIA

or if you prefer, 63 Victorian Towns, ending in "O"
Ardno
Benayeo
Bendigo
Bingo
Boho
Boneo
Boyeo
Buffalo
Bullarto
Burrereo
Caniambo
Capuano
Cobrico
Cockatoo
Corio
Curyo
Danyo
Dargo
Duddo
Eldorado
Jeetho
Jericho
Kaladbro
Kalkallo
Kangaroo
Koimbo
Koonoomoo
Liparoo
Marlo
Marnoo
Merino
Milloo
Mirboo
Mitiamo
Mocamboro
Nyallo
Omeo
Omeo Valley
Patho
Pimpinio
Poolaigelo
Poolaijelo
Rialto
San Remo
Sorrento
Talgarno
Talkaldorno
Tally Ho
Tantaraboo
Tarago
Tarrango
The Rialto
Toolondo
Tourello
Tresco
Upper Dargo
Wallaloo
Waterloo
Woorndoo
Wyeebo
Yando
Yarto
Yellingbo
Edited by rod222 - 11/23/2019 9:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1975 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjamtwo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Rod, JEETHO looks good. (I was so sure the last letter was a D.)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27466 Posts
Posted 11/23/2019   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It just dawned on me, I have the Vic Postmark Catalogues,
I can check JEETHO see if it passes muster.

Ooops..ends at "G"
Edited by rod222 - 11/23/2019 10:16 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05