Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Glenhaven Local Used But Off Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
245 Posts
Posted 11/21/2019   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Willwood42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Glenhaven local mentioned in one of my other threads. A nice copy, unfortunately no longer on cover. I believe it is a Type V, but I don't have a Scott Specialized to check.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Willwood42 - 11/21/2019 7:09 pm

Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What features of the stamp would you use to distinguish types? I notice there are two dots in the broken links, except for the upper left one, which has only one.

The cancel seems to contain an O. Do you have any idea of this location?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
968 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This page will give you more info on Glen Haven. Cancellation should be either Homer or Scott, NY.
Chip

Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   08:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to a 1904 version of Scott Specialized (which is available in part online) the key element is the border. Type III and Type IV have the chain link, with Type III having various ornaments in the corners. Type IV has no ornaments in the corners. The stamp shown I now realize is a Type IV not V. Things have changed since 1904.
Edited by Willwood42 - 11/22/2019 08:37 am
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First letter looks like an "S" and the second could be a "C", so perhaps Scott, NY as Chip suggests.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
968 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the Scott, NY version:

Pillar Of The Community
2285 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Using Scott for ID'ing carriers and locals is completely useless. The go-to source is Larry Lyons' 3 volume "The Identifier for Carriers, Locals, Fakes, Forgeries and Local Posts of the United States". The chain border makes yours a type IV, of some sort. Lyons shows 4 original plate variants, 2 forgeries, and 1 bogus type. Yours does not match any of them exactly, so you may have something new. He should see it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1191 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with John Becker. The stamp seems to have all the characteristics listed in Lyons for a genuine copy except for the single dot in the broken link at upper left.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27485 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FYI (For your Interest)
Source: United States Locals and their History
Charles Coster 1877
Scott & Company
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5724 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a display from the Farrell collection, see 71L3(type IVvar). I'm not sure who's numbering system it might be Scott's?

https://www.pennypost.org/pdf/farre...llection.pdf

Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Stallzer, I saw that article, and on page 5 the stamp in the upper right hand side is a Type IV with a single dot in the same chain link as the one I posted. I don't have a copy of Lyons, so either to John or Dudley, is the difference between the one posted and the type IV's in Lyons the single dot or something else
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1191 Posts
Posted 11/22/2019   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are other things, such as the length of the line above ONE CENT, period vs. comma after MAIL, the break in some of the chain links, etc. None of the features that identifies a forgery, according to Lyons, are present in the stamp in question here, but as John said neither does it match all the features illustrated for the various genuine Type IV varieties.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05