Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Of Grandpa's Interesting Covers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
73 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hab to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all!

After a busy work season I finally am getting more time to go through and organize my grandpa's extensive collection and I found these covers to be interesting. I know by now with the researching I have been doing that what may seem rare is not always so, but even still I think these are kind of cool and would value any info or comments you more experienced collectors could possibly provide.

To note, there are two separate pairs of covers that seem to have stamps that were cut in half to reduce the face value, but interestingly as best I can tell they are each two covers with the identical single stamp cut in half with each other's twin, so I have an entire stamp between the two. Can I assume that was done intentionally with the purpose of collecting?

Also to note, there were two covers with cancellation stamps that indicate a field postal office, and in one of them was this hand written note saying that it was kept because it was the only field office in existence at the time in the British Army from the Chinese/Japanese war. Not sure of the validity of this claim but interesting none-the-less.

There are a few First day covers too, especially neat are the ones from the Northwest Territories indicating first flight.

The registered letter cover I thought was cool because it has a bit of actual wax seal still affixed and have not seen that before.

The remaining post cards and ration card and lodge meeting card are in great shape and thought them to be worth holding onto (as all of them).

Lastly the unused cover with the QV 1 cent value I know nothing about but there you go.

Hopefully you all enjoy these as I am doing!

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28074 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice eclectic collection.
My interest was drawn to the partial mute CDS (Circular Date Stamp)
of the Shell Oil company.

Land's end......been there, done that

Mooseheart Cinderellas
Source : James SCF member
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 11/24/2019 6:59 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The bisected stamps surprise me because I've only seen that done where supplies are temporarily limited, usually due to remoteness. I'm not aware of any reason why they would need to bisect in Keremeos in 1952, although it is a little bit remote. Though possible, I doubt that using each half on these two letters was done for collecting purposes. Probably the two addressees knew each other and at least one of them may be be related to the sender, making it easy enough to re-mingle the letters.
Valued Member
Canada
73 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hab to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rmatossian - Thanks for the reply! I am actually from Keremeos and it is very much a small town, but far from remote. The reason I figured it might have been for collection purposes is because both are postmarked the same day and sent to/from the identical addresses. Just seemed a bit strange.
Pillar Of The Community
1050 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kimo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The two first flight covers are listed in the American Air Mail Catalog in the Canada section as being two of the six possible legs of the inauguration of service between Fort Resolution and Great Bear Lake via Rae.

The Great Bear Lake to Rae cover is catalog number CAN 537c and the Fort Resolution to Great Bear Lake one is listed as CAN 537a. These inaugural flights were flown by the contractor for this route, Canadian Airways, Ltd. and the pilot was W.R. May. These are considered very common and have minimal catalog values. Also, since they are not the complete set of 6 that also reduces their values further. The good thing is that they were prepared by your grandfather back in the day and so they are priceless to your collection.

The stamps cut in half are called bisects and they are rarely authorised by the post office. Collectors like to "create" them where they are not authorized for philatelic fun and games and that is what these are. As such they have little to no value other than being curiosities made by a collector. Again, they are priceless to you and your collection since they were made by your grandfather.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
56 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
very nice post, thanks for sharing the collection and to the others for the information.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05