Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Very Rare And Odd Same Person's Name And Date 2 Postcards!

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 911Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
4 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Joonhokim95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
I was surprised when I discovered odd 2 postcards with same person's name Pauline Kelch and date is on July 31, 1908 on 2 postcards with 1902 Series Benjamin Franklin stamps from 2 different people on this day! It is a very unique and phenomenal old postcards in my collection! I don't know how much these 2 postcards value if I want to sell them on eBay. I think it would be about $200,000, because it almost impossible to find like this 2 same postcards with names and dates! WOW!

***Title Modified By Mod***
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

United States
4 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joonhokim95 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, this person where lived in the same name of town in Illinois! It is almost like a jeopardy after I discovered it recently. I don't know how much these both 2 postcards with 1902 BJ stamps valuable is. I want to ask you for your opinions about valuable for these postcards if I want to sell on eBay. Thank you!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
690 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What makes you think these are valuable?

It was not and is not unusual for people to save post cards, letters, etc for many many years.

Don't quit your day job!
Edited by dutchman1948 - 11/24/2019 6:16 pm
Learn More...
8489 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   6:15 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
In my opinion this is not extraordinarily rare thing. Bradford IL to Castleton are a few miles away from each other; it could be that the person was ill and friends got together to write 'get well' postcards. Ditton for a birthday post card writing party. The value is whatever someone else is willing to pay for them and you can ask ridiculous prices if desired. If they were my postcards I would start them at $2.00.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2733 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   6:17 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp itself was the workhorse for that period and extremely common. Postcard on the left has a poor cancel and other is clearer, but common. It is not rare at all to have multiple postcards or covers addressed to the same person, same day from the same towns. Happens quite a bit during the holiday and around people's birthdays. It adds no monetary value. Now what are the pictures on the front? So far I only see about 25 cents to $1 per card in value.
Valued Member
United States
447 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a lot of folks who will pay $200,000 for these cards. Save yourself the posting cost.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2996 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You don't show the picture sides, but it was very common to send birthday cards in this era. The recipient might have gotten several dozen cards postmarked within a day or two. The stamp is the workhorse stamp is its era also, thus extremely common. For what is shown so far, the value is around $1 total.

Add: As you can see several of us were writing the same thing simultaneously. Here is a 6-some of birthday cards all postmarked at Mertztown, PA and sent to Emaus, PA with the same common stamp on February 29, 1908, Leap Day!

Edited by John Becker - 11/24/2019 6:38 pm
United States
4 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joonhokim95 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay thank you for your feedback. I am happy that you caught me. However, I was puzzled after I saw similar 1902 Series Benjamin Franklin stamps on eBay for $1,000+, but I don't know why they decided these prices are going very high.
Learn More...
8489 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   6:33 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some folks on eBay are clueless, some are 'fishing for suckers'.

Instead of looking at asking prices, which can be anything as you have seen, filter the eBay search by 'sold' (selection check boxes left hand side). This removes much of 'noise' and shows you what things actually have sold for.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2733 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   6:35 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't pay that much attention to what other people are asking for on eBay. There's a lot of nonsense on eBay. Pay more attention to what things have sold for instead.
United States
4 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joonhokim95 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

Thank you for telling me. I am please with your honest response. Also, I am try hard to find different ways to profit but also I have possible 2 or 3 rare coins, but I don't know if these are authentic, more likely fake. Unfortunately, there are too many replica stuff that made in China!
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

TIP: Always try to be prudent when using the adjective "RARE", it immediately sends up red flags to collectors.
Rare, is only an opinion, and generally incorrect.

Your postcards are the possible result of the declining craze in exchanging postcards (That era's social media)

To wit:
The turn of the century saw the golden era of postcards. An article on the Standard (a British newspaper) from August 21, 1899 read:

"The illustrated postcard craze, like the influenza, has spread to these islands from the Continent, where it has been raging with considerable severity. "
With multiple daily pickups and deliveries (up to 12 times per day in large cities!), postcards were effectively the text messages of their time. It was cheap and convenient to send them, and postcard-obsession reached its peak in the Edwardian era with billions of them being sent every year.

Scenic landscapes, portraits, exhibitions, royal visits, humorous scenes or even current events were quickly printed in postcards shortly after taking place. The many surviving examples of such postcards tell a vivid picture of the time.
https://150yearsofpostcards.com/history
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4175 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sheetguy2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it would be about $200,000, because it almost impossible to find like this 2 same postcards with names and dates! WOW!

Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sheetguy2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If they were my postcards I would start them at $2.00.

Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sheetguy, too, but I don't get the . Shouldn't it be more ?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 911Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05