Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Austria, 1859-1867: Postmarks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EMaxim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone identify these postmarks? I'm especially interested in any that might be of Hungarian origin.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, it seems that at first the date/time stamp showed the name of the town or city at the top, and later it showed a street name at the top and the town or city at the bottom. Is that correct?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
474 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The second stamp is Wien which is Vienna
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
567 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   02:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Number 8 looks like Carlsbad(Karsbad).

Number 9 looks like St.Polten(Sankt Polten).

Do not forget that Austria in those days covered a lot of Europe.

Your last stamp Jicin is nowadays in the Czech Republic.
Edited by Johan Buvelot - 11/25/2019 03:00 am
Valued Member
Austria
141 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   03:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, let's go. Here are the ones that are quite obvious. The others will follow - keep your fingers crossed - a bit later ...

Neubau in Wien - you can see "in Wien" and the last letter "u".
It's a district in Vienna.

Steinschönau, nowadays Kamenický Šenov (CZ)

Sarvar (German: Kotenburg) in Hungary

This is Riva, a town in Italy, Trentino, Lake de Garda

Karlsbad, nowadays Karlovy Vary, CZ

St. Pölten, Austria

Wr. (Wiener) Neustadt, Austria (Has nothing to do with Vienna, a town in Lower Austria)

Jicin (German: Jitschin), CZ
Edited by tommtomm - 11/25/2019 04:34 am
Valued Member
Austria
141 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   03:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the next two:

Triest, but a registered letter (RECOMMANDIRT)

Landskron, nowadays Lanškroun, CZ
Edited by tommtomm - 11/25/2019 04:31 am
Valued Member
Austria
141 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   03:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Well, the last one could be Temesvár, Hungary, but I'm not shure.
Edited by tommtomm - 11/25/2019 03:38 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28163 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   04:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow...Impressive work. (applause)

Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tommtomm, did you drop the "mike" yet?
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to you all. As Rod said, impressive. Not just the knowledge but also the willingness to take the time to share it. It's what makes this forum so valuable. Especially delightful was finding that my second stamp was Neubau in Vienna. I could see the Wien but couldn't make out the rest. I hold out hope that the first stamp is Ungvár in northeast Hungary (now Ushharod in Ukraine), where my grandfather was born, but many Hungarian towns end in -var. Again, many thanks.
Valued Member
Austria
141 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, maybe it's Ungvár. It is even more likely than Temesvár, but I tend to a third - unknown - city. I found a cancellation from Ungvár, take a look:

But it doesn't fit exactly ...
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
Posted 11/25/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see what you mean: a close fit, but not exact. I hope someday to identify that third, as yet unknown city. Thank you for this extra bit of help.
Eric
Valued Member
United States
474 Posts
Posted 12/01/2019   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think this issue had any imperforated stamps. I know there are cut squares from cards which are on thick paper. This paper is thin like a stamp, but rougher and somewhat brownish. I assume this is a wrapper or something like that. Would love to see an entire.

Muhldorf - A small town in Austria

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%...ower_Austria

There is also Muhldorf in Bavaria Germany, but I do not think that it was part of AHE.

Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
Posted 12/01/2019   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't Temesvar currently in Romania, as Timisoara?
Pillar Of The Community
France
890 Posts
Posted 12/01/2019   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Newspaper wrapper

(not mine)
Edited by vayolene - 12/01/2019 11:45 pm
Valued Member
United States
474 Posts
Posted 12/02/2019   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danko to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful.

Vayolene thank you very much.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05