Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question: What Is The Main Reason That You Collect Stamps?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
565 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   10:28 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Education and relaxation.

Constantly amazed at the ingenuity and work ethic of our forefathers. I'm sure we are a pretty big disappointment to them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
Posted 11/28/2019   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was born with the collecting gene and started collecting stamps at age 9. I was drawn to them because of my love of history and geography. I stopped collecting, though, in high school because of girls, cars, ete. and then my career and family got in the way.

Last year, because of health issues, I had to retire early (I was 53) and soon grew bored and depressed. My health not only prevented me from working, it also prevented me from doing many of the things that I greatly enjoyed, such as backpacking, mountain biking, and rock climbing. My therapist said that I needed to find something that I enjoy that wouldn't be greatly affected by my health issues. That's when I thought of my childhood stamp collection and resurrected it. My boredom and depression soon went away and I'm enjoying life again. All do to my stamp collection.
Valued Member
330 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   11:20 am  Show Profile Check matttodd1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add matttodd1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I collect stamps because the Bible says so . ------My pastor asked a Sunday School class if we are willing to "Save the World" I raised my hand and for 62 years that is what I did ,you should see my collection

Edited by matttodd1 - 12/08/2019 11:21 am
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
Posted 12/17/2019   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was gifted many stamps over Thanksgiving from my Aunt in a small border town in MX. The minute I started going through the boxes, bag and envelopes, I was hooked, found this forum and well....also:

-The History - in particular keep me connected to my Mexican roots
-The Art, also the simplicity of many of the designs
-The thrill of the chase
-I am a sponge and love to learn - my father was a stamp collector in Mexico at a very young age and is also a History buff and Genealogy expert (before it was mainstream).
-Being in my earlyish 40s, I beleive stamp collecting and the learning and research that goes along with it, will do me much more good than Netflix binging and Instagram/Tweeting.
-Theraputic, me time
-I want to pass this art on to my 12 and 9 year old boys.
Australia
3 Posts
Posted 12/17/2019   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teejay to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started because I thought they were too pretty to be thrown in the bin with the envelope. My grandmother encouraged me. I did stop for a bit, but starting to get more excited about them again. I still think they're pretty.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 12/17/2019   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjbailey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do it for the connection I feel to my family. They collected these stamps with joy and looked through the album pages just as I am. It makes me feel close to my dad.

I want to bring the albums he left to me back to life, and I have found that it's educational as well.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1693 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing for me is that it helps with my ADD! Sometimes it is hard for me to focus.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
Ireland
189 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was working on some pages on Sunday night and my wife looked up from her crochet and said something like "how did all this start?" and I told her about Woolworths in the 1960s and the pre=printed paperback album, the packet of hinges, tweezers and the handy guide so that I could tell China from Japan and Bulgaria from Yugoslavia.
And the page about famous collectors like President FD Roosevelt.
As the maximum number of stamps I could get on my Czechoslovakia page was 42, I agonised about how FDR coped with his 43rd stamp from Czechoslovakia.
It never occurred to me that at Christmas 2018 my wife would give me a "Man Cave" sign for the door of this "conputer" room. I always thought of "Man Cave" as an American thing for men who did faux macho things like shoot and fish.
So in 2019, this room is now macho.....Stamps, postcards, coins, football programmes, autographs, phonecards etc, all to satisfy the "collector gene" in me.
Why?
As I said to my wife.....
Stamp Collecting is the last good thing.
There has been no music apart from Emmylou Harris since the Eagles, John Denver, Linda Ronstadt.
There has been no Football since Celtic and Manchester United in the 1960s.
There has been no TV since Wagon Train, Perry Mason, Phil Silvers, Mary Tyler Moore, Boots and Saddles, Kojak etc etc etc.
There has been no optimism in the world since the Summer of Love in 1967
There has been no Decency in the world since ...well thats the point you become an old person.
So to subvert Dr Johnson.....Stamp Collecting is the last refuge of the Introverted Recluse.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
1749 Posts
Posted 12/19/2019   11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gussyboy1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To me stamps are works of ART. They make it possible to enjoy so many beautiful works that we'd normally never get to see or enjoy..and you don't even have to go to a museum to see them.
Nobody gets in to see the Wizard. Not nobody. Not No How!"
Valued Member
Netherlands
103 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   05:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kilowarecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Adventure! To discover. Like Columbus, sailing to a place you have never been before, buying a box with unsorted stamps, thats what I like about stamp collecting, research, finding errors that nobody found before, but.... last years I am into making my own stamps, personalised stamps, lots of research too, using my experience as a collector, it takes allmost all the time that I have, since 2016. I made over 700 different stamps till now. Next week I go to a show in Barneveld Netherlands, for holiday, 3 days, hope to find new ideas, and to find some stamps for my collections of not personalised stamps, like German Empire 1875-1900 and postmarks Germany Frankfurt of the same period. I go there twice a year, meeting dealers and collectors from different countries is also a part of the hobby.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
210 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy collecting and meeting other collectors. Possibly more significant is the findings of a person doing high school Psychology who did some kind of Freudian test on me many years ago and found I was nearly off the scale as Anal retentive. Even her teacher sought me out to check I hadn't messed around with the test!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3726 Posts
Posted 01/17/2020   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love stamps for the history lessons, geography lessons, the artwork. Heck there are so many reasons why I collect I couldn't possibly list them all here.

Dianne

Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05