Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help! Is This A Stamp At All? Old Japan "Revenue" Stamp.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 576Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   06:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lostandfound to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just had to have it as it was advertised as Old Japan Revenue Large. Iv been looking all day and can only find one other pic of it and that says the same thing?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
189 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rmatossian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yamagata Prefecture revenue stamp. I'll guess from the 1930s. It will be fun when somebody who actually knows about it comes on to correct me.

I think of prefectures as kind of like states here in the U.S. States often issued agricultural inspection stamps as a way of, well, showing that agricultural products were inspected.

Here's another one (Googled Yamagata Prefecture revenue stamp):

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2738 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There seem to be many different types of silk inspection (certificate) stamps.I gleaned a few from internet..
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...n/l546709458

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...n/g385552472

Edited by perf12 - 11/26/2019 09:38 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are interesting links perf12, what a beautiful object the bottom one is. yes it appears that what maybe listed as stamp might just be an inspection tag/label for export? (cant wait to be corrected by some knowledgeable person on this subject too matossian). I emailed the University at Yamagata. As if they have nothing better to do than answer me! Awaiting some type of reply. Curiosity may have killed the cat, but satisfaction bought it back..
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my collection (Hope you can read it)
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thats great! thank you rod. You do have a remarkably ecclectic collection.
I really like the presentation. I think it's half the mystique, the story behind each item.

I much prefer your nishiki -ishi red jasper/agate label! swap?

This is quite a large item, measuring approx (no calipers) 68mmx52mm (frame inclusive) and 60x45mm for just the printed area. thats fairly adequate for a 'label'.

I fear that because its predominantly english that it is after the 40's? again supposition... corrections s'il vous plait!
and one last glorious shot showing dimensions next to a well used coin

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 11/26/2019   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
L&F
your label is one of the nicest I've seen, power to you.
The Bird in the label is possibly a Crane, a bird held in high regard in Japan, and appears on many postage stamps of Japan.

Orizuru
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A very small orizuru
The orizuru or paper crane, is a design that is considered to be the most classic of all Japanese origami. It is a representation of the Japanese red-crowned crane that is referred to as the "Honourable Lord Crane" in Japanese culture. The Japanese culture believed that its wings carried souls up to paradise.[2] It is often used as a ceremonial wrapper or restaurant table decoration.[3] A thousand orizuru strung together is called senbazuru meaning "thousand cranes". Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes is a classic Japanese work that talks about the significance of a thousand paper cranes. It is said that if one folds a thousand cranes, one wish is granted to him/her.
Edited by rod222 - 11/27/2019 12:02 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 11/28/2019   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well then I shall retain with approval. And will find out how one measures a stamp and what the various areas are called before I mention frames or print etc. I can feel the cringing from here.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 576Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05