Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Yellowish "Unused No Gum" Stamps... Still "Unused"?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 933Next Topic  
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   01:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add emilio911 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys!

I have an issue with an eBay seller. I bought a batch of modern "unused no gum" stamps. When I received my order, I realized half of the batch is kind of yellow (because of the soaking, I guess).

Was the seller correct in his description? Are they still "unused"? What amount of yellowness is acceptable for an "unused" stamp?

Thank you!
Send note to Staff
Edited by emilio911 - 11/27/2019 01:13 am

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4963 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   02:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's accurate, but, as a description, not accurate enough. I'd have added a note about the colouring. It's unlikely that soaking of itself would have imparted a yellow tinge, unless the stamps were previously stuck to something whose colour bled into the stamps during the soaking process. Show us a picture of a normal one and a yellow one side-by-side.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4096 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No amount of yellowness is acceptable for an unused stamp unless it suits your purpose.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
957 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An awful lot of stamps washed from the plain brown envelopes left to soak after the gum frees, become yellowish to tan from the paper coloring transferring to the stamp paper. That said, unused no gum should mean just that. A clean stamp with no gum.
Coloring of any sort should have been noted and that generally means used stamps that were uncancelled and washed off envelopes.
Valued Member
7 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add emilio911 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's accurate, but, as a description, not accurate enough. I'd have added a note about the colouring. It's unlikely that soaking of itself would have imparted a yellow tinge, unless the stamps were previously stuck to something whose colour bled into the stamps during the soaking process. Show us a picture of a normal one and a yellow one side-by-side.

Please see the picture attached. Thanks

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
625 Posts
Posted 01/04/2020   06:56 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I regard an 'unused' stamp as mint but without gum. But definitions can vary.
Valued Member
256 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An unused stamp, by definition, has not been used. A stamp that has been used but escaped cancellation is a used stamp. Many postal services do not (always) cancel stamps. It is quite common in Europe to receive a franked letter without any cancellation.

Unless these stamps were issued without gum and never used, they most likely are used.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me the yellow could be the tagged frame around the image.

Robert
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29766 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks to me the yellow could be the tagged frame around the image.

Interesting opinion, I had not considered that.
Agree, some Canadian stamps look awful with their tagging.
Once again, a poor scan, does little to establish a meaningful identification.
Edited by rod222 - 02/11/2020 8:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
957 Posts
Posted 02/13/2020   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now I am going to question the OP mention of yellow. Is it only on the back of the stamp? Most Canadian tagged stamps from the last couple of years have an almost clear tagging that shows yellow or green under the UV light, but normally not that noticible otherwise.

Better scans would help Emillio911
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 933Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05