Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Youtell Me Why I'm So Happy To Acquire This Cover?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 960Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

701 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Glenn Estus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am really ecstatic about acquiring this FDC cover of the 1932 Lake Placid OWG stamp to include in my forthcoming exhibit.

Can you tell me why? I wait a day or so to write my reason.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
959 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The combination of stamp and cinderella is cool, but I'm going to guess that the reason has to do with the ski team member who sent the cover. A relative of yours, perhaps?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
177 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp is a downhill skier, label is a ski jumper and sender was a cross country skier?
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it because the 1932 2c it is voted one of the greatest 100 American stamps?and sold out of all 400,000 in just 5 hours ensuing police control over the little lake placid post shop, after being designed only a few days earlier? something like that - paraphrased from mystic stamp report? oh and the usa won the most medals. probably not per capita though haha! now etched in my mind due to my first time on mystic stamp

https://www.mysticstamp.com/Product...es/716/USA/#

olle zettestrom competed for the usa in the cross country event..

Edited by lostandfound - 11/27/2019 1:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4661 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sender or recipient is a relative?
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
is olle zettestrom the person on the 2c stamp??
Learn More...
8488 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   1:31 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You were missing the magenta Planty PL #32a from your exhibit?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
626 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Because even though the stamp was issued on January 25 and the games started February 4th you got both the stamp and the Cinderella both tied to the cover with the first day cancellation.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1007 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unlike the ski jumper in the cachet and on cinderella the real stamp contains the error of having a pair of skipoles, a genuine mistake of the P.O. As well the stamp is of a totally different background as compared to the cachet and cinderella showing the whole of the U.S.A. Cachet was done by chamber of commerece?, your design won a contest? Your dad or grandfather designed it? You attended this event or competed in it? So many variables, I had to guess at them all and hope one sticks.
And the Canadians dominated the ice hockey!

Mike
Edited by No1philatelist - 11/27/2019 4:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2500 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the cracked plate stamps? The recut position? The Snowball?
Pillar Of The Community
701 Posts
Posted 11/27/2019   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the scoop: It's the vignette (seal) on the FDC which is cancelled by the Lake Placid circular date stamp. That proves that it was on the cover on the first day, not added later as seen on many FDCs. I have collected this stamp on first day cover for over 50 years and this is the first such example I have ever seen.

It also means that I can now have an exhibit page with the vignettes. This particular vignette comes in four languages: English (common), French (fairly common), Spanish (scarce) and German (scarce). There are two other vignettes, one of which is US made and the other from the Swiss Bobsled Federation. I can legitimately place them in the FDC exhibit because (1) the USA ones were used to seal the handmade White photographic cachets and (2) the Swiss one is used on a cover to Switzerland.

For those who are not familiar with FDC exhibiting, the exhibitor needs to show his philatelic knowledge as well as showing cachets and cancels. At the current time I have a small die proof of the 2c Lake Placid stamp as well as a "specimen" overprint from the UPU collection from Bechuanaland (with certificate). Of course, I have some of the well know plate clacks and perforation and color varieties.

The fact that the sender was a member of the US ski team is an added bonus. By the way, there was an article in a philatelic magazine proving that the myth about ski poles was wrong. The stamp doesn't specially show a ski jumper, but probably a cross country skier. Having been cross country skier, I can tell you that such a position off the ground is possible.

Finally, inside the FDC is a short letter with the skier autograph.

All in all, not a bad deal for $4.00. I placed a hidden bid of $50.00 on it. I was the only bidder so I got it for $4.00
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1512 Posts
Posted 11/28/2019   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I placed a hidden bid of $50.00 on it. I was the only bidder so I got it for $4.00

Don't you just love it when that happens

Congratulations on your find. Note to self: items will turn up eventually, even after waiting 50 years!
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 11/28/2019   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well deserved then!
Don't forget to mention the police were called in to quell the crowds at the lake placid post office on the day demanding their piece of history. A real 'stampede'! too corny?
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 960Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05