Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

French Cover Thoughts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 724Next Topic  
Valued Member

Sweden
32 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ubiyca to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this beautiful cover at auction for only 3. I think it was a bargain.

The cancellations are close to perfect, is it a genuine postmark? I know they've had a post office on "Rue de Provence" for many decades but I'm not so familiar with France in general. Thoughts?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4966 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Attractive cover. Possibly handed to staff to get clean cancellations. Worth 3 of my money too!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Sweden
32 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the stamps alone are worth more. I like the green colour combined with the colors in the actual stamps. I'm happy I got it for such a cheap price but also surprised that noone else made an offer. Thanks for answering!
Edited by ubiyca - 11/29/2019 1:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
934 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very attractive cover at a great price! A good buy.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2662 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Red label stuck on it says "EXPRES". This term by Expres is a service created March 25, 1892 that allows the sender of an object to route through the postal service to be assured that it will be delivered to the recipient upon arrival of the dispatch at the office of destination by an 'expres', that is to say a porter specially assigned to this mission, subject to a mandatory postage and a fixed surcharge. In the domestic system only, the name "EXPRES" has been replaced (circular of 24 September 1971) by "Distribution by Special Carrier".
(Colombes philatelie)
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1459 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely cover - what a find for 3 - well done ubiyca
Valued Member
Sweden
32 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
perf12 Thanks for the information on "Express". Does this decrease the value? (not that it has any great value anyway).

Bobby Thank you! :-) As a matter of fact I just noticed that the same seller is selling the same type of letter which goes to the same adress (the partner I assume), the auction ends in a couple of days. I like my cover better but I will try to grab this one too. But the price is already 5 on this one (below picture).

Edited by ubiyca - 11/29/2019 4:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
Most of the international overtly philatelic covers I see are sent [Registered], presumably to inhibit loss.

But it is clearly cheaper to send the same cover twice or three times by regular (or even special delivery) mail.

I wonder why we don't see more of these; even if they were, uh, diverted, they would eventually come down to us.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1459 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As a matter of fact I just noticed that the same seller is selling the same type of letter which goes to the same address (the partner I assume), the auction ends in a couple of days. I like my cover better but I will try to grab this one too.

I'd consider it my duty to get the other cover. It'd be a crying shame to have them separated, having been together for such a long time.

I've done this myself where I bought a cover on eBay and then months later picked up another at an auction house. Both were addressed to the same lady. I always wondered how they got separated in the first place!
Valued Member
Sweden
32 Posts
Posted 11/30/2019   05:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I will do my best. And since I'm a Swede myself I naturally have a soft spot for letters from abroad to my own country.

I laid a bid on another nice cover, the stamp is not worth anything but the cover is cool, so is the handwriting.

Learn More...
8270 Posts
Posted 11/30/2019   05:21 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like your second cover better since it represents the intended use of the postal system. Your first cover, while attractive, is too obviously philatelic for my taste.
Don
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
Posted 11/30/2019   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I very much enjoy information about word origins and the covers or at least their destination, illustrate something that I bet that a lot of people don't realize, that the word suede (it should actually have an accent over the first e) the name for a type of soft leather brushed into a nap and used to make shoes, jackets, etc, is the French word for Sweden. It comes from "gants de Suede" , or gloves of Sweden.
Valued Member
Sweden
32 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ubiyca to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I managed to win the second cover, but the price got higher, I got this one for 8. So average price for both 5,5. I don't think I overpaid.
Atleast now I got both covers, one was seent to the husband and the other to the wife lol!
Edited by ubiyca - 12/06/2019 10:27 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 724Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05