Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Csa Covers And Value....i Have No Idea

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
655 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Laurie 02 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi team
In amongst a batch of covers I purchased I found 3 Civil War covers.
I think they may be of value, can anyone assist?
This I can't find in 2017 Scott specialized.

I think this is CSA #6?

And CSA #1?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1987 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1. Stampless covers will not be in Scott. Letters could still be sent collect during this time (obviously?). Nashville was taken by Union troops in February 1862, so this is not a CSA cover. This is confirmed by the 6 cent postage due, which I think is a US double rate; Confederate would have then been 10c. Worth a few dollars.
2. Yes, #6. Unfortunately, this would have been a really good cover if someone back when hadn't torn off one stamp. Confederate patriotic covers are pretty scarce. This is still worth something, but I'll leave it to someone with more current knowledge to come up with an estimate.
3. Yes, #1, but collectors want to know the which stone and shade; hard to tell here. Worth $75 or thereabout.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
2464 Posts
Posted 11/29/2019   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the 1863 Nashville cover:

Yes, Union occupancy of Confederate territory. Also,

Quote:
Letters could still be sent collect during this time (obviously?).

Well, not quite. A simple overview is that prepayment became mandatory in the US in 1855. The Nashville cover falls under the postal act of Mar 3, 1863, which rates underpaid/unpaid mail at double the underpayments, thus 2 x 0.03 = 0.06. I would call this non-payment as tolerated, but penalized to discourage the practice. Others may have a better phrasing.

Somewhat related to that are the unpaid covers mailed during the civil war which are certified with a signature/title of an officer or chaplain as sent by a non-commissioned soldier/sailor and allowed to pass through the mails collect to the destination at only the single-due amount, authorized by the same act noted above, section 27. Thus the "due 3" ratings on a lot of civil war soldier mail. Commissioned officers did not get this mailing right, thus having to prepay or have their recipients pay double-due, which may be what your due 6 cover represents!

(I used the recent reprint of "Appleton's United States Postal Guide, 1863" which contains the 1863 act.)

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05