Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Am Having To Write This Over Very Discouraging I Need Help With The 552 Design 594 596

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

3 Posts
Posted 11/30/2019   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add fatherkinds to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
well I am slow typing and after already asking this question am not sure I can or want to again and it sounds like I am a bugger here my question is a very seriuos and important question to this community and the world over . and I might be able to shed some new light on these notoriously elusive copycats of the 1923 1929 scott cat.#552 design 1 cent ben franklin green s . I have about 1000 a little less or more of this series and this particular stamp design . as you can imagine the time and fun I have had learning all there is to kmow I can find out in positivley identifying and seperating by the scott catalog numbers all the variations . I am left with three that need to be seperated and properly set in there place the 552 ,594,and 596 I have roughly 100 of the perf 11 scott #552 variations and have four I am 95% sure they are of either the 594, or 596 coil sheet waste perf 11 . my question is besides the measurements of 19.25 x 22.50 which all of my remaining perf 11 share has anybody else have any other additional info. besides what has already been documented with the kans. pre cancels and the new york basin office without the pre cancel have that could positively tell them apart . ? thank you.
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
7551 Posts
Posted 11/30/2019   11:12 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This question comes up very, very often. So often, as a matter of fact, that a community member wrote this article.
http://stampsmarter.com/learning/ID...arities.html

Additional information on how to ID rotary press printed stamps is also here
http://www.stampsmarter.com/learnin...methods.html

Between these two webpages, you should be able to learn how to ID US W/F printing varieties and how to make a template.

Please note that even if you had 10,000 of these stamps they printed billions of them. These stamps are as common as rocks. If you went into your backyard and grabbed 1000 rocks, what are the odds that one of them might be a diamond? This is why we recommend the best perspective is to always assume that you have the most common varieties. Collectors having sorted through millions and millions of these stamps over the decades and only a handful have been found.

As a last suggestion when folks are convinced that they have found a rarity, we typically tell them to go ahead and spend the money sending their stamp(s) in for a certification.
Don

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
571 Posts
Posted 11/30/2019   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Please note that even if you had 10,000 of these stamps they printed billions of them. These stamps are as common as rocks. If you went into your backyard and grabbed 1000 rocks, what are the odds that one of them might be a diamond?

Great analogy!

Valued Member
315 Posts
Posted 11/30/2019   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry to say I wasted five minutes trying to understand the original question.

What help can be provided if asked in rambling, incomprehensible English?

It would get a grade of F in compostition!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1166 Posts
Posted 12/02/2019   11:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I felt I was oozing brain cells trying to read the OP. If you know you are a "slow typer" perhaps it would be best to get right to the point.

Just my thoughts....
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
56 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Don tried to put you on the right direction with his post, but why would someone make the effort to discourage you? Just saying.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05