Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identify This Us Stamp 70d Or 78c With Thin Paper?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rogdam. Yes this would be a find of a lifetime for me.
I found the stamp residing in Switzerland and bought it to bring it back
to the US. It had not been in the US for many years.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rogdam. This would be a find of a lifetime for me.
I found the stamp residing in Switzerland and bought it to bring it back
to the US. It had not been in the US for many years.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
508 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How did you remove the paper on the back without damaging the stamp?
How long have you been in Sarasota? I'm in Sun City Center myself. There is a group of three of us, one from North Tampa and another from Riverview who met via this forum and periodically meet for dinner —perhaps you would like to join us sometime?
Edited by funcitypapa - 12/09/2019 2:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I removed the paper with a small amount stamp lift fluid very slowly pulling it off. It came off fairly easily. I have practiced on less valuable stamps to learn how to do it correctly.

I will be moving to Sarasota this winter and will be glad to join your group. Don't think I can
send or receive emails yet as a new poster.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
62 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have some used examples and wish to add them to the discussion and see what the posters here think of the stamps and should I send them off to be expertized, which service is best? Thanks for any feedback.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4030 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trying to identify shades by scans is a fools errand especially of these issues.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
62 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was hoping for a little direction in terms of how best to proceed to know what I should do here. Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3888 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For all things stamps be directed here.
http://stampsmarter.com/
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not send those stamps for certs. They are badly off-center. They are very unlikely to be rare shades. Like a one in a million shot. They are still valuable - many tens of dollars. Take them a stamp club, dealer, or stamp show and ask around.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
62 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think your advice is what I need. Thank you. I bought my Grandfather's collection in 1982, from my Aunts who were the administrators of his estate. Being busy with "life" I am only now getting around to trying to work thru the collection. Things have come a long way and I have much to learn. I am thankful that some here take the time to help a hobbiest such as I.
Valued Member
Germany
37 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamphunter1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
blackjack any news from the PF? It would make me wonder and certainly others in this forum what conclusion the PF came concerning your stamp.
Edited by stamphunter1 - 12/16/2019 7:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I contacted them today as it has been in their hands for over 5 weeks.
My stamp has been shown to more than 4 experts so far but no final opinion.
I was told it is an early printing on thin paper of the Steel Blue 1861 24c Washington stamp.
Has anyone heard of the 70b stamp on thin paper.like 70c or 70d? Any references you can provide?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4030 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Five weeks is not long at all. No opinion from four experts but they told you it is a thin paper Steel Blue?
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a thin paper Steel Blue which was printed early in 1861. Have you heard of any other early printed Steel Blues?. I have no knowledge of a thin paper variety 70b.
Valued Member
Learn More...
204 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Blackjack, I am one of those in the group that funcitypapa mentioned. Saying hello, but also trying to help you along to get to 50 posts; you are correct in that you can't send or receive emails until you hit 50 posts.

Also following this post as I am one of several that are anxious to see what the PF says.

~Andy
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05