Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identify This Us Stamp 70d Or 78c With Thin Paper?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Learn More...
7876 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   4:41 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, congratulations on the certification.

But to be honest I do not understand the reasoning behind the two threads. You sent the stamp in to PF in early November and after sending the stamp in you started these threads seeking opinions on different images. Here are three of the images that you posted for your stamp and the dates you posted them.

Your poll image (12/26) is the exact same image that you posted on 2/06 but its color has been changed. Neither of these images is similar to the first image you posted on 12/01. For comparison I have also posted the PF image below.

Some folks spent time (pages and pages) commenting on the different images. What was the point? Why not simply wait until you got the cert back before starting a thread?
Don

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4224 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I never realized how different the images are from each other. Pretty much useless to render any meaningful opinion. And the PF scan is a completely different animal from any of the posted three. The 12-01 scan color in particular is so very different from the final reality. Amazing.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don you can appreciate that showing comuter photo scans
of this pale gray violet shade stamp can be challenging.
Different background or lighting conditions can affect
how we perceive the color we see. The stamp image
taken from PF cert. is not even what the real stamp color
Is like. I will give you the closest photo scan of the stamp
as I see it below. The PF expert committee took the time
to get it right even though it took 14 weeks.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2234 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   8:37 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From earlier in the thread: "I was able to gingerly remove the stuck paper from the OG without creating a thin"

That made me cringe a little bit when I first read it. I would recommend that you consider the possibility that you created the thin on the stamp yourself. If you were not able to detect the thin that the PF found, how can you be sure that you did not create it?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4224 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would have been gradable, with no point deductions, with a hinge remnant. A shame if the removal caused it. Let us hope that was not the case.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5816 Posts
Posted 02/25/2020   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the older stamps like this do they deduct for nibbled perfs? If so, how much?
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently got a PF cert for an 1861 3c color variety. I asked for a duplicate cert with slightly different wording. I have both cert copies and the color of the stamp image on each is completely different. And congrats on the favorable cert, BTW!
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The thin was obscured by the thick paper covering
that area in the back. The expert I spoke with said that
adhered paper would result in points being deducted
and it was wise to remove the paper obscuring the back.
It was impossible to detect thin with paper adhered.
I am quite sure I did not cause the small thin.
The PSE deducts 15 points for small thin but will add
10 for for color freshness such as this stamp has.
Take a look at the back of the stamp and thin
Is not visible against black only detected in fluid.

Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam. You said "It would have been gradable, with no point deductions, with a hinge remnant. A shame if the removal caused it. Let us hope that was not the case."

This was not a hinge but adhered thick paper not from that era. It was margin perforated paper and not original possibly put there to obscure back. It needed to be removed as it would have raised doubts about this thin paper classics.back condition. Adherent paper would have resulted in further point deductions if left in place according to PF expert.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
871 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   06:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Add 10 for color freshness".

I have never seen that done by PSE

That means an 85 centered could become 95 because it has good color.
Never
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wannahocalugie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Simply beautiful. Congratulations:D
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

BlackJack2271 said,
Quote:
The stamp image taken from PF cert. is not even what the real stamp color is like. I will give you the closest photo scan of the stamp as I see it below ...

See the attached image. Is this closer color wise?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4224 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps I am obstinate but it makes little sense to adhere a piece of paper to the back of the stamp in order to hide a thin that is only visible in fluid.

In any case congratulations!
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 02/26/2020   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Banknoteguy.

Yes your photo is spot on.
And who cares if small thin some fix on.
Look at this stamp and see it's beautiful.
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05