Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Difference In These Two 206s?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
409 Posts
Posted 12/01/2019   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Philazilla to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The one on the right is obviously brighter, both ink and paper. I've noticed that most of the 206s I see are more like the one on the left. I wonder if this is a result of different paper or ink at the time of printing or if one has maybe been exposed to more light? I think there is a legitimate difference here - not just a result of different conditions over the years. I'd like to mount both of these in my album, but would like to identify the difference. Are these separate shades?

(Please spare me the "these stamps are 139 years old and it is futile to try to identify shades" lectures. If you legitimately think the difference is a result of differences in long-term storage for these stamps, then cool, but please don't just throw your arms up and tell me it that it is useless to try to understand the ink and paper differences in these stamps.)

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 12/01/2019   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sheetguy2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philazilla....Im sure you know.
According to SCOTT there are 4 shades listed for #206.
grey blue
ultramarine
dull blue
slate blue
My guess for your 2...
LEFT :grey blue
RIGHT : slate blue
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
Posted 12/01/2019   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find stamp shades to be interesting and challenging. The best you can do is make educated guesses. Even the expertizing agencies are inconsistent, at best, at identifying shades. In fact, the one on the right has a 1995 PF cert that says "Gray Blue." I have a copy of _Encyclopedia of the Colors of US Stamps_ by R.H. White (1981), and the closest color-plate match to the stamp on the left is "pale ultramarine" (206a which isn't even listed as a variety any more) and the closest to the stamp on the right is either "gray-blue" or "dull slate-blue."
Learn More...
7417 Posts
Posted 12/01/2019   6:49 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamp on the left paper appears to me to be toned, making it a bit more yellow. This 'background' hue can influence our eyes a bit when we try to compare the two stamps.

For example, the bottom image shown here is your right hand stamp color applied to your left hand paper.

Even though it is the same (right hand design layered onto the left hand toned paper) note how the blue now appears to be different color from the original right hand stamp. This is all due to the background color influencing our eyes.
Don

To demonstrate how much the background color can influence our eyes, here is an image; the horizonal gray bar is exactly the same color across the entire face of it. Yet our eyes trick us into seeing it with a gradient, getting darker towards the right (it is not, it is the same color).

Gray bar shown here is exactly the same as the gray bar above.
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
Posted 12/01/2019   8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I'll play around in photoshop a bit and see what else I can learn.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 12/02/2019   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mstocky2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried examining them under LW UV? If not that is where I would go next. LW UV can be very good for discriminating paper and ink varieties.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05