Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Older Us Stamps. Scott 124 And 1894/95 50 Cent Washington.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

6 Posts
Posted 12/01/2019   11:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Zephyrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello. Would be interested in every ones assessment on those 2 stamps of mine. Am I correct with 124 on the Rider and do you have a guess which version the second one could be ?
I recently bought No.2 together with several other ones. Unfortunately it has not arrived yet so I can not check for Watermarks etc. At first glance I thought it had a very odd cancel but due to the color distribution that is obviously unlikely. Does that look more like weird damage, very strange toning or a printing error ? I named it "Backpfeiffengesicht" for the time being, meaning a punchable face due to the weird effect on the cheek.
I also have some more 10c Jeffersons where I am not 100% on. May upload them in another post to not overload this one.
Thanks in advance - Z

Send note to Staff
Edited by Zephyrus - 12/01/2019 11:27 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1927 Posts
Posted 12/02/2019   04:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
50c Jefferson:

This appears to be a standard double oval cancel of the time, with REG (registered mail) in the middle, the R on Jefferson's cheek. It is a bit flat for that type cancel but these were made of rubber or similar material and distorted as time went by.

There does seem to be a tiny scrape below the eye.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
Posted 12/02/2019   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the color of the stamp and the cancel the 2 stamp is most likely a Scott 113. The 50 stamp is heavily oxidized and is probably a Scott 275, but you need to check to see if it has a watermark. With a watermark (double line USPS) it is a Scott 275. Without a watermark it is Scott 260.
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 12/02/2019   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zephyrus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@hy-brasil
Thanks. Nice trick with the color removal to make it more visible.

@wtcrowe Thank you. How do you figure 113 though ? Other than as an error arent they supposed to have a grill ?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05