Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Prexies, Learning - Is The White House 41/2 Precancel Also A Prexie?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 12/04/2019   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mrita75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I am sure you can tell, I am falling in love with the art as well as discovery of stamp collection.

Double checking - is that White House 41/2 cent precancel part of the Prexies? Yes I know they are not in the best condition ,but I might invest in a few mints :).

Thank you all for your responses and patience with this new collector.

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
7565 Posts
Posted 12/04/2019   9:10 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is considered a Prexie.

If you would like to learn more about 'Prexie' stamps and how they were used, one of our members (Hal Klein) has assembled a great online exhibit here http://stampsmarter.com/learning/al...ie_home.html
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 12/04/2019   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have some interesting stamps. They are not in great shape, but you can learn much from them. The 1$ Wilsons can be checked for watermarking. The 5c Washingtons can be checked for tagging. I am no expert either. Stamps are a fun hobby because there is ALWAYS more to learn and collect. I like the piece with multiple denominations. I would keep that intact.
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
Posted 12/04/2019   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your responses. yes they are not in the best shape. Currently - what I am doing is trying to sort, by collection, country, dates etc. Once I get that done and place the stamps somewhere safer - as they were literally just thrown in an old bag :( so they got beat up. I am waiting for my Mystic Stamp Albums and I will start working to place them in the albums. Of course - there will be many that I cannot identify - my Franklin Washingtons - aside from the year for now (with a few exceptions). As I learn, I hope to identify them properly over time and leave the albums to my young sons. Ok - I will read online, but how do I see if something has a water mark or is tagged - especially when they are not in great shape? Thank you again, Nora.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 12/04/2019   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Watermark detection:
http://www.stampsmarter.com/learnin...nFluids.html
http://www.stampsmarter.com/learnin...termark.html
Thee are also images of US watermarks on StampSmarter

In short, Ronsonol is generally available but perhaps locked up with the cigarettes in your local store. You need a black/very dark tray or even a plastic display card for contrast. The deal is you wet the stamp with a couple of drops, and it dries quickly without affecting the ink. Some watermarks are hard to see and you do need some practice to recognize partials that are not full and square in the middle of a stamp.

Tagging: Nothing to worry about until you get to the 1960s and later issues. You will need a black light/ultraviolet, both in long wave and short wave. For US stamps, you'll need a short wave lamp or one with a short wave filter. http://stampsmarter.com/features/Tagging_Home.html
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita75, You can learn more about the various Prexie denominations from the Prexie Era Committee, a study group of the United States Stamp Society.

https://www.prexie-era.org/prexies-low-mid-values/
Edited by Coastwatcher - 12/07/2019 4:38 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05