Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help! What Breeds Are These Cats?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

219 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   04:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add idebee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28074 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   04:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Idebee,
Please help us to help you.
Are you able to suggest dates please?
They may be printed on the stamp, North Korea usually is.........
Thank you.
Always try and offer the most information you can.

The first 3 (1977) are not specifically identified in Scott,
Just Gray (sp) Black and White, and Ginger Cat.

Same with the next 4 "Domestic Cats"

They may be identified in the Michel (German) Catalogue, which is not in my possession.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 12/05/2019 04:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
Russian Federation
565 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   05:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alexey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
North Korea

China

Edited by Alexey - 12/05/2019 05:57 am
Valued Member
219 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks rod222 for replying.
Actually I have checked some online stamp catalogs, but it seems that they tend not to include the breed infos. For example the last 7 stamps were for Argentina Philatelic Exposition, and only titled Cats.
So what I am looking for is someone who is familiar with cat breeds, and who can tell the breeds from just looking at the pictures.
And to tell the truth, I have read a lot of cat breed articles and hoped to identify them by myself, but I gave up, because I found it's really difficult for an amateur to distinguish the subtle differences between an American Shorthair and an European Shorthair, or a Siamese and a Tonkinese, a Persian and a Chinchilla, etc. Actually, they are very closely related because of cross-breeding.
Pillar Of The Community
Russian Federation
565 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alexey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
219 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   06:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Alexey for the infos!
I saw some says this is Siamese!
Valued Member
219 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Is this a Persian or a Chinchilla? Or maybe a Turkish Angola?
They look almost the same for an amateur like me!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28074 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Austria
136 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You could try it at CATawiki as well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
503 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Freibergs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried the American Topical Association? They have a cat study group and I would guess probably a check list too
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suppose they might be, but the images may not necessarily represent purebreds. Breeds often have distinct body types, too, which we can't see much of in these.
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/05/2019 4:39 pm
Valued Member
219 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the suggestions!

Found CatStamps website in the link section of the American Topical Association, and they have some clear breeds info of Guinea Bissau's cat stamps!

Valued Member
219 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   02:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And finally I come to realize that Birman and Burmese are two different breeds.:-)
And I am still a little confused with Birman and Himalayan,
they look the same to me.:-( I thought the 10p of Guinea Bissau was a Himalayan.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05