Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Identification Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 847Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bertieferris to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this "coil stamp" in my father's collection as an extra. Was not cataloged. Vertical perf measures 9 3/4. Can anyone Identify?

***Test Stamp, moving to Back of Book***
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
8264 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
TD95 I think.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
2 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bertieferris to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Don! I believe you are correct. I have had this stamp laying around for years not knowing what to do with it. Should have posted to this forum sooner!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29758 Posts
Posted 04/23/2020   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was curious if this inscribed Selvedge was identifiable ?
Has US Watermark and is rouletted.
Learn More...
8264 Posts
Posted 04/23/2020   6:32 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,
http://stampsmarter.com/features/Pl...ockHome.html

Click on Search by Plate Number and type in 11434 to get your answer on the stamp that once was a part of this selvedge
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6827 Posts
Posted 04/23/2020   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I imagine it's the side selvage to the one cent battleship.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29758 Posts
Posted 04/23/2020   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing,
thanks Don and Revcollector.
You guys know your stuff.
Sc#R163p
Edited by rod222 - 04/23/2020 6:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
681 Posts
Posted 04/24/2020   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
indeed a check of the Durland Catalog confirms revcollector's identification. It is side selvage and technically it is not a roulette, since little pieces of paper were punched out. The Scott U.S. Specialized uses the terminology of hyphen hole perforation 7. My philatelic mentor, the late Ernest Wilkens, preferred the old terminology slot perforated 7.
Ron Lesher
Edited by revenuermd - 04/24/2020 4:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6827 Posts
Posted 04/24/2020   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any day that Ernest Wilkens name comes up is a good day.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29758 Posts
Posted 04/24/2020   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Scott U.S. Specialized uses the terminology of hyphen hole perforation

I noticed that, so you guys over the pond, really aren't sure what to call something.
That's 3 interpretations.

I was using the Samuel Crossman's (US) Handbook of Philately
I take your point, but I feel uncomfortable employing "Hyphen Hole"
as I imagine the coils with the big slots.
I will however, retain the 3 usages to memory.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
681 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222 - The hyphen hole is not a roulette, since it actually removed paper leaving a hole the shape of a hyphen. It is a perforation. So the roulette terminology is not applicable. Also, these were applied to sheets of stamps, not coils.
Ron Lesher
Edited by revenuermd - 04/25/2020 12:37 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29758 Posts
Posted 04/25/2020   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The hyphen hole is not a roulette, since it actually removed paper leaving a hole the shape of a hyphen. It is a perforation. So the roulette terminology is not applicable. Also, these were applied to sheets of stamps, not coils.

Yes, I get that revenuer,
surely, you can understand, by my first post image, half of those "punctures"
look blind, therefore I was assuming a piercing, not removal of chads.
I understand the definitions, but to a novice US collector, on first inspection, they do look like slits from a roulette.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 847Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05