Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Source List Of Early Post Offices On Vancouver Island

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
15 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampfiddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Frequently here in the forum, I see that a question will come up about a particular post mark and a number of people are able to jump in with information about a post office and when it opened/closed etc.

Is there an online resource that you turn to to get such information? The Canadian Archives site (in my experience) is difficult to search, although I realize they do list PO information. It seems that you need to know the specifics of a PO location and then you can get the open/close dates and post masters, etc.

Specifically, what I'm looking for is a reference source showing all the post offices on Vancouver Island in the early 20th century. This might be part of a larger BC listing.

Can anyone point me to such a resource? Does it even exist? Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
48 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try here it might be what your after.

Cheers, Billhttps://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/disco.../search.aspx
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
6676 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stampfiddler...Welcome to the forum.
Here is a couple for you..

Robert

https://www.allnationsstampandcoin....EarlyPO.html

Here is a huge PDF book to download..Go 2/3 the way down and click DOWNLOAD and download the PDF.

https://open.library.ubc.ca/collect...ms/1.0367749

Valued Member
Canada
15 Posts
Posted 12/05/2019   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfiddler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to both of you - those look like interesting resources.
Valued Member
Canada
96 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampfiddler,

I don't think there is a online source for exactly what you want.

The classic source is "The Post Offices of British Columbia 1858-1970" by George H. Melvin (1972). It gives information on location, openings, closings, and postmasters.

A newer source is "British Columbia Post Offices" by William Topping (1983 - First Edition; 1991 - Revised Edition). It doesn't have postmasters or as precise locations, but does include types of cancels.

Neither of these is available on line. You can probably get the second one in hardcopy form, but the first is difficult to find, and will cost $$ if you do.

These sources do not separate out Vancouver Island.

If you want to be serious about this area, there is the newsletter of the British Columbia Postal History Research Group, which is available on line, but is not searchable, nor indexed.

Jan
Valued Member
Canada
15 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfiddler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jan, that's excellent information and I will investigate further. Thanks.

Bruce
Valued Member
Canada
337 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   4:51 pm  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The books (and supplements) of several editions of both Topping and Melvin are available in the library of the Greene Foundation. While we don't normally lend these books out of province, our librarian has been known to scan portions of publications for researchers. I suggest you call the Greene Foundation during business hours (Monday thru Thursday) and speak to either of our librarians...416-921-2073. I also suggest going online to www.greenefoundation.ca to check the catalogue of library resources.
GJP
Valued Member
United Kingdom
335 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try this link for the first book by Melvin the price seems OK but for me in the UK the shipping is about the same as the cost of the book

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...-_-ats-_-all
Valued Member
Canada
15 Posts
Posted 12/13/2019   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfiddler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Anthraquinone - that would be an excellent resource for me and I live just across the Juan de Fuca Straight from where the bookseller is located. But even living that close the cost of shipping is going to almost the cost of the book. I don't mind paying shipping costs, but this one seems a unreasonable.

But you've given me a source to keep seeking. Thanks again.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05