Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is It A Franklin Type Ic Or A Ib Or Something Else

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
200 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone ;
I'm sorry about harping on this stamp but it has a lot of things I didn't know about. The closer I look at it I start seeing things .
Check this out, could this be a cracked plate or just a light tear I don't know how a light tear could change the hair line ,directions like this,or how it splits in two, but maybe it could?.
Also I'm not really sure if these are re cuts on both top and bottom that's my guess they are.
Anyway this was a very interesting stamp for me maybe it will help others identify there Franklin #9 stamp.
Thanks for all your help Dan

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1210 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As Winston says, it's strange that this stamp is still up for sale on eBay, ending in 5 days. Be that as it may Dave, er, Dan, this stamp has a recut bottom frame line as shown in the photo below. The top line recut, if there is one, is cut away (maybe just visible at left, as indicated by the arrow,. The photo is too poor for me to tell). In any event, the places you indicate at the top are not recuts--top-line recuts are always somewhere between the S and G of US POSTAGE. The portion of the stamp below, however, shows a clear top line recut.

Valued Member
200 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dudley;
That clears up my re cut delirium .
That is funny about this stamp being on eBay still. I will see if I can find it maybe he doesn't know it.
No takers for the cracked plate delirium ,it looks like a scratch some what because of the groove look .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1810 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a fairly serious surface abrasion or a repaired interior tear. Either way its a notable fault.

The blue below the O & N of ONE in the colorless oval is evidence of a double transfer; a relatively common occurrence for #9s, since the plate was re-entered.
Valued Member
200 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dan Townsend to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input txstampm I appreciate it very much.
Dan
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05