Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Reflections About Washington/Franklins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 461Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BFRomeos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Comments are welcome.

With reflections based on no more than 11 months' experience as an active collector and as a visitor to this forum, I've come to the following conclusions about Washington Franklins:

- Many, if not most of these issues suffered from poor centering to begin with.

- Most of the surviving specimens display the cumulative result of a century of rough handling (tears, creases, toning, etc.)

- Watermarks are the collector's nemesis. For any given type, only a fraction show definitive evidence of a watermark. The rest become "difficulties" in that they cannot be properly identified due to (1) placement within the pane, and (2) the color of imprint - note especially the yellow, lime, or orange specimens.

- Collectors who obtain W/Fs in bulk will inevitably build a sizeable inventory of these "difficulties." Holdings of these items may quickly come to outnumber those of certain identity.

- As a consequence of the above, we see sales offerings of W/Fs in "unchecked" lots. I have yet to examine such a lot, but I presume these will consist mostly (if not entirely) of "difficulties."

- Any serious effort to obtain W/Fs of verifiable identity will (1) require repeat bulk purchases in the hope of finding a few good ones, or (2) paying a premium for properly certified set.

Your thoughts?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6599 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plenty of F-VF examples exist for most W/F. Most DL watermarks are fairly easy to spot; SL watermarks can be easy or difficult or somewhere in between. Yellow or orange stamps are always the most difficult. The "good ones" are rare for a reason. Generally the common ones are VERY common, so one is far more likely to run into them. With some experience, telling W/F apart becomes much easier. This may help:

http://www.stampsmarter.com/index.html
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4366 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As an example of watermark identification difficulties I refer to my recent purchase of a Scott 460 in a Spink auction that after submission to PSE turned out to be a 478.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Inkmanno1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Been going thru a big lot after a few years of not looking at them. Have a guide handy always but agree on the difficulty of watermarks on certain denominations. Have a handful last nite I finally gave up on, to try again another day.

Cancels seem to sometimes be in just the wrong spot or too heavy with show thru. Get's frustrating but still like the determination of issue part.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 461Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05