Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identify Is This Scott 78B Or Another Color Variation?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 581Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this 1860s unused 24c og stamp and want to nail the color variety down.
In your opinion is it 78 lilac, 78a grayish lilac or 78b gray? To my eyes it is a 78b gray stamp but I want to hear from you what you think. Please chime in.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Best to place it with other 78s and then let the experts tell you what they think. Looking at colors on a single stamp from different computers is just folly.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5966 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Due to different monitors, video cards, etc. it's difficult to establish true color representation. Best advice is as posted above and compare side by side with known examples. Great looking piece but appears to have a rusting issue that needs to be addressed quickly. Keep that one away from other stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1540 Posts
Posted 12/15/2019   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BlackJack2271, I won't try to ID the color for the reasons stated above. However, here are some reference images from my collection for you to view for contrast.

Valued Member
United States
94 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJack2271 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Classic Coins for posting the color variations.
My stamp placing it side by side with illustrated stamps
appears to me be a 78 lilac. The paper appears whiter than
your pictured stamps. Does this mean anything?
Learn More...
8264 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   09:16 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Comparing colors depends upon how the original image was generated, the ambient lighting conditions, your video processor, your video drivers, your monitor, and your eyes.
In other words, it is virtually impossible.
Don
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sheetguy2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed with all advice given.....
classiccoins....the 78d looks greyish to me.( monitor, etc)
I have handled a few, with certs, and they look more obvious when seen....ex: (like a pigeon blood pink on 3c Wash,) These are 2 examples of extreme of those varieties.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sheetguy2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://siegelauctions.com/imagevie...1195/148.jpg

Not talented enough to do a side by side

Edited by sheetguy2 - 12/16/2019 09:29 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 581Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05