Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gratuity For Mailman

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
418 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A bit off topic, but do folks normally tip their mailman for the holidays/ end of year? Did a search on this on this forum but didn't find anything.

In the past I haven't, due to shifting locations and mail personnel, but during the five years we have lived in our (hopefully) last house for retirement, we have had the same very friendly, dependable and conscientious mailman. He never fails to say hello if he's driving by and is very careful with anything that could be damaged by mishandling.

It looks like there is a regulation against any gift above $20, and such gift cannot be cash or cash equivalent. As a practical matter, it would be a lot easier to give cash or a gift card versus some physical gift, even if the value limit were observed.

Just curious - what do other folks do, if anything? And does anyone kinda wink at the stated regulation w/r to kind or value of gratuity?

Thanks.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
139 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get my carrier (who is on foot in northern Minnesota winter) a pair of Smartwool socks every year. Also for paper carrier and garbage hauler. The postal carrier has said several times that he really appreciates it. Our carrier also is very friendly, dependable and conscientious.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by MrEos - 12/06/2019 3:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A box of cookies, banana bread, or similar baked good always fits.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28081 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a Postbox,
I hand over the mail counter, Cakes and boxes of chocolates, for all the staff, every year. They are my link to the outside world. Great Service.

Valued Member
70 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boxcar1954 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Banana Bread and Seed butter mixture, always a hit. Always the consumables.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5756 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought US federal employees were forbidden to accept gratuities?
Valued Member
United States
157 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the sake of hearing from the other side, I have never tipped the mailman. We never did when I was growing up, either. The few times that I see the local mailman, he/she is often different. I live in a condo community, with community mail boxes (like 25 mailboxes in one place), and I never see anything left there for the mailman at Christmas-time. I think giving to the mailman is rare around here - I suspect it is more prevalent in other areas. FWIW, if I lived in northern MN, and my mailman walked his route, I'd get him good socks every year, too!!
Valued Member
87 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I was growing up, we had the same mailman for twenty years. My dad gave him a bottle of Canadian Club every Christmas. Once I was grown and out of the house, I was never home when the mail came. It didn't feel right tipping someone you wouldn't know if you fell over him.

Now that I'm retired, I noticed that I have a different mail carrier every couple of weeks and the quality of service varies wildly between them. I don't feel right just tipping whoever's lucky enough to have the duty in December.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28081 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not intended to influence anybody here, just from experience I find this rings true. Every time I have given anything, without expecting a reciprocation, it has been a wholesome experience.

"Generosity brings happiness at every stage of its expression. We experience joy in forming the intention to be generous. We experience joy in the actual act of giving something. And we experience joy in remembering the fact that we have given."
Buddha
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As stallzer points out, it used to be illegal but they still got them anyway. A bottle or a box of good chocolates (See's, out here in the West for ages) was the usual when we actually saw and interacted with the local carrier. Some would even (politely) refuse gifts.

Per Aviatik, it's different guys on different days with wildly different attitudes and results. The local counter clerks are so bad as a group I go to the next city over when I can. The telling thing is when the one-day food drive is conducted by USPS, no regulars are working that day, so they don't have to haul bags back to the post office.
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/06/2019 5:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a highly personal thing. Back when I was getting a lot of stamp mail, and we had one carrier, I did not hesitate to give a cash tip with a Christmas card every year, and it was appreciated. Little kindnesses like bringing a package to the front door, instead of leaving a notice in the community mail box, or knowing who we were when the address was screwed up on the package, going out of the way to keep a package out of the rain, and etc.

John
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4527 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   5:45 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have so many different postmen these days that there really isn't much of a relationship. However, I do give my Parcel Force and Hermes delivery people (both charming Romanians), both of whom I see regularly, a decent bottle of claret.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28081 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

For your reflection.
Any new members to this forum, may consider a small Christmas donation to SCF?
It is wonderful, helpful, Oasis of knowledge here, a small gift would encourage this forum to continue into the future, where would we be without SCF?

A simple click to Paypal is all it needs.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1958 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   8:12 pm  Show Profile Check TheArtfulHinger's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought US federal employees were forbidden to accept gratuities?

Gifts valued at $25 or less are acceptable. I deal with gov't employees at my day job and deal with this issue occasionally. Typically you can buy them a lunch, but as decent dinners in most metro areas are over $25, that typically won't fly. And every one that I've dealt with, without exception, is extremely conscientious about this.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
972 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the answer to your question:
http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=is+it...e+mailman%3F
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
793 Posts
Posted 12/06/2019   9:41 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have always tipped the mailman - every year and the trash collectors - actual money, not socks or brandy - nothing against socks or brandy of course.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05