Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Scherzer Bridge Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

241 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add idebee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have studied my old bridge stamps and found this Scherzer type of bridge is very unique and interesting. It functions like a rock chair, and what's more, it seems pretty rarely shown on stamps (to my limited knowledge). Is there any bridge stamp colletors seeing other stamps with this type of bridge? Could you share it with me and other bridge lovers, thanks! Discussions about this type of bridge is very welcome! Have you seen real bridge of this type around where you live? Are they still in use, which means are they still be able to open and close?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
3879 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1382 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the Pamban Bridge in India, on this site:

http://www.istampgallery.com/landma...es-of-india/
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2756 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Idebee, You have surely checked the thread on bridges; Alexey is much more knowledgeable than I on bridges, but I can show you the only bridge I am familiar with which might be of the Scherzer type in Berlin. It is the only one of several to have survived 1945 and spans a Spree canal. It is now reserved for pedestrians and fun to cross while admiring the structural detail, maybe it still works.

Here is the large bridge at Lindaunis on the Schlei in northern Germany - Scherzer? When I lived up in that area it was interesting to watch it work - it is now being replaced for lack of funds to renovate.
Learn More...
7571 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   03:34 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

For folks who want to see one in action, hand built model with over 30,000 brass pins used as rivets!
PCSwJDD-zz4

Don
Valued Member
241 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   05:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the great infos.
It's great to see Scherzer bridges on stamps, as well as in photos.
I enjoy especially seeing them in historical photos.
Here is another stamp and some old postcards and photos.

Valued Member
Australia
106 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   06:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StevieG to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found a used copy of this stamp while sorting tonight. I've also shown the mint version from google.
It is Birkenhead Bridge in Adelaide, Australia.

Valued Member
241 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot, StevieG!

51studebaker, I can't see the vid, my region seems not friendly with youtube. Is there any other introductions that I can take a look, I am really interested to see it!

Some interesting old Scherzer company's advertisements for reference:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3916 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
idebee:

Q/ Are all counter-weighted rocking bridges called Scherzer bridges? Or, do you research each bridge, and verify the contractor who built that bridge, before you add it to your Scherzer collection?

(Some brand names come to dominate their products, like "aspirin" and "kleenex".)

(Some counter-weighted bridges lift straight up, and do not rock. Or, roll.)

http://americantopicalassn.org/ ... The bridges checklist at the American Topical Association currently lists over 3,500 stamps; if you join, you could contribute a checklist for Scherzers.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (a proud member of the ATA, America's Second Largest Philatelic Organization)
Pillar Of The Community
Russian Federation
566 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alexey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the very famous Scherzer bridge is the Pegasus bridge in Normandy and the story of its heroic capture

Pillar Of The Community
Russian Federation
566 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alexey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
241 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, ikeyPikey, thanks for your replies!

"
Q/ Are all counter-weighted rocking bridges called Scherzer bridges? Or, do you research each bridge, and verify the contractor who built that bridge, before you add it to your Scherzer collection?

(Some brand names come to dominate their products, like "aspirin" and "kleenex".)
"

Indeed, Scherzer invented this type of bridges and his company has the patent. And I have done some research on the constructor of the bridge , it is a french company, but it should be authorized by Scherzer, who is said to be very strict to defend their patent rights.

And what's more, I am wondering that this is the reason that this wonderful type of bridge died out in view that it has so many advantages, economic, easy to maintain, fast open and close, roll backward to give more space, etc.
But they are eliminated from the market, perhaps because they are too strict with their patent rights, so building Scherzer bridges is not very lucrative for builders.

"
(Some counter-weighted bridges lift straight up, and do not rock. Or, roll.)
"

Right, that is why Scherzer is unique from other bascule bridges, and why it's invented and patented.

"
http://americantopicalassn.org/ ... The bridges checklist at the American Topical Association currently lists over 3,500 stamps; if you join, you could contribute a checklist for Scherzers.
"

I think that is way too professional for me, and a checklist is just what I am looking for in here, in this post :-)

------------
By the way, can I quote in this forum?
Valued Member
241 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Alexey, great additions!

The Pegsus bridge must be the one with the most historical significance of Scherzer bridges. I heard that the original bridge has become a Museum in Normandy, and Mr.William Donald Scherzer, the inventer, must be happy to see his bridge becomes part of the human history, besides as a means of transportation facilitation.

Pillar Of The Community
Russian Federation
566 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   02:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alexey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scherzer construction bridge near the city of Belomorsk
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3916 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   06:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... By the way, can I quote in this forum? ...

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who always adds the ellipsis because every quote is out of context, fair or not)
Valued Member
241 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikeyPikey, many thanks!

Quote:
Scherzer construction bridge near the city of Belomorsk

Thanks, Alexey! Great to find one in Russia in use. But where is Belomosk, I can't find its location, Russia's map is so big.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05