Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Request - Information Sources (Town Cancels, Erd)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 465Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
143 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Lars714 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi - does anyone know where I can find online or book information on the town cancels of the Small Queen period? Also trying to find info on ERD.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
357 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a courtesy to readers of all posts such as this one, please identify the country for which you are seeking information as part of the title. Few of us are mind readers.

I assume this is Canada, but it could be England.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
143 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok then! A bit surly for a Saturday morning, but will acquiesce and add the country in the future. You assumed right - Canada is the country I am interested in (posted this question in the Canadian Stamps and Covers page.)

Thank you for the advice, though - appreciate it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently, the Canadian Unitrade Catalouge lists known use dates.

http://goscf.com/t/70092#619808

Pillar Of The Community
7118 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lars714

Search for Mr. Laurence D Shoemaker,
Cant remember where I found it, but has tons of ERD stamps...Below is an example.
Robert

Valued Member
Canada
347 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   4:36 pm  Show Profile Check gportch's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gportch to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lars. I don't know of any source providing your specific information but, as a Small Queen collector, I suggest the following:
1) Postal History Society of Canada (web site) has a comprehensive listing of postmarks listed by type of marking but you need to do the sub sorting to match the towns. If you are not a PHSC member you can get an e-membership for $15 per year. You cannot afford to pass on this for value.
2) ONTARIO POST OFFICES, VOL 1 by Robert C. Smith (published by Unitrade) provides an alphabetical listing of all post offices in Ontario with opening and closing dates. You will need to do the sub-search to find the offices open between 1870 and 1897 (if my count is correct, there are 3608 of them)
3) BNAPS website has a link to a site operated by Charles Livermore which provides a great deal of good info on the postal markings of Toronto.
If you are looking for towns outside Toronto I think you may need to consult the annual reports of the Postmaster General for the listings of post offices. We have a (almost complete) set of these reports available at the Greene Foundation in Toronto. Guests are welcome to use our library at no cost.
GJP
Valued Member
Canada
129 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lars714,

If you are interested in which post offices were open during the small queen period, there is the book: " Canada Post Offices 1755/1895" by Frank W. Campbell which covers most of this period. The book dates from 1972, so I am not sure how available it is.

Jan
Valued Member
Canada
143 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lars714 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to all for your considerate responses!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
651 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jimjung to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use a book called Canada Post Offices 1755/1895 by Frank W. Campbell. This book lists all Post Offices that were opened in the period in Canada. It's not an expensive book. About $15 and you can find this easily on Amazon, etc. If you want to do this online, you can join the Postal History Society of Canada (PHSC). They have an online e-Members fee of $15 per year which gives access to an online datanase. I haven't seen the database but heard that it is good.

Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 465Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05