Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why No Reverse Pictures

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
48 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm new to stamp collecting so forgive me if this is a dumb question.
I don't know if I'm being picky but when I look at stamps on e-bay I see there are many dealers that don't include a picture of the reverse of the stamp.
I want to see that the gum is the same on each stamp in the set, I don't like it when there all different colours.
it could be my years of dealing in coins where it's essential to see both sides of the coin is it not the same when dealing with stamps?
I'm collecting MNH for now concentrating on Scott #200-#500.
Do you buy stamps without seeing the gum side?

Edited: Scott #100 to read #200

Cheers, Bill
Send note to Staff
Edited by Hounddog Bill - 12/07/2019 11:35 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5756 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can always contact the seller and request a scan of the back. Also with the stamps you are seeking I'd also try and find ones with recent certs to eliminate re-gums.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by stallzer - 12/07/2019 10:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4527 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   12:05 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It depends on the stamps and the numbers thereof. I usually try to scan both sides if I sell stamps on eBay, but it isn't practical for large lots or for stamps on album leaves.
Valued Member
315 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I may play devil's advocate:

Will a scan of the gumside help you much to assess regumming, sweating, or see light hinge marks?

If the seller provides you a scan of the gum, how much more have you really learned about the stamp?

I'd note, too, you rarely if ever see scans of gum in major auction catalogues. Sometimes you have to take the word of a reputable describer.

Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like to see the back side of stamps and have requested a scan from some sellers. Most have done so but not all.
Pillar Of The Community
3073 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   08:43 am  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To me it is important to see both sides since I study paper and gum varieties. I also ask if the picture is that of the actual stamp being sold since some use a generic picture which is not helpful for those who are looking for specific details on stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
797 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If the seller provides you a scan of the gum, how much more have you really learned about the stamp?

If there had been a scan of the gum, I wouldn't have wasted money recently on some U.S. special handling stamps that were described as MNH but turned out to have some nasty thins.
Pillar Of The Community
6676 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having a scan of the gum side helps, but better to have stamp in hand to see between the perfs for gum dripping...Ran into this at the local stamp club..A guy approached me all excited that he had a original gum of a fairly expensive stamp...I looked at it and within a couple of seconds I said sorry, it has been regummed...He got mad, so I called over my friend Jim, a stamp expert and he looked at it and said, Robert is correct..Re-gummed...He didn't like that, but that is life.

Robert
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05