Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Us Post Office Closures 1930 Covers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 413Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
398 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jony78 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Searching through a lot I recently purchased at auction I found around 20 or so covers relating to post office closures, what is the history regarding this as I've not found much similar,

thanks

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
2697 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The mid-1920s into the 1950s were an era of huge numbers of philatelic covers for all sorts of unusual occasions including post office "last day" covers. The closings were announced regularly in "The Postal Bulletin", see uspostalbulletins.com to search for others. In the case of Lightcap, South Dakota, the closure was announced in the Bulletin of March 13, 1935, given slightly more than two weeks for collectors to send for covers. Value is minimal, maybe a dollar or two.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
111 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It seems they switched to postcards in the fifties.
Valued Member
111 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Seems there was some confusion about this one.
Pillar Of The Community
2697 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Instead of envelopes, postal cards were used by many collectors to save a penny.

In the case of Irwin, California, the closure trail is documented in the "Postal Bulletin" issues:

Postal Bulletin, Issue 20103, August 28, 1958, page 4:

Postal Bulletin, Issue 20105, September 11, 1958, page 4:

Postal Bulletin, Issue 20108, September 25, 1958, page 4:

Postal Bulletin, Issue 20122, December 31, 1958, page 3:

The point still being valid that collectors could easily follow the announcements in the Postal Bulletin and send for last day covers. It is much harder today.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2407 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another 5 Last Day cancelations. However, they are all past the 1930 cut-off date suggested by the thread title.

Edited by littleriverphil - 12/08/2019 10:49 am
Valued Member
111 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

John Becker- You're more educated than I in things postal. Do you you know what a red G.D.A stamp means on a cover? It's on the last cover posted in the "messy cover" thread. I'm guessing it may have something to do with directory search but I wasn't able to find anything on it by a light web search.
Pillar Of The Community
2697 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will post a guess on that thread.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 413Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05