Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

India Stamp With Handwritten "X" Over Cancellation

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 981Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
56 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bailey500 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am curious as to what the "X" stand for on this stamp. Any ideas?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Going to pile on :) Same here with this X. Mexican Revenue stamp. Why would the put an x across the stamps?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2741 Posts
Posted 12/07/2019   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This has nothing to do with manuscript cancels.The black X or diagonal cancels were applied on some stamps used on telegram forms.1940's - early 50's.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29902 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   04:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bailey,
these were "Theft prevention" markings, placed by the business that was sending the mail.
(Yours is a fabulous example !)

If they were used on Telegrams, I certainly like to see proof.

I collect these "Theft prevention markings"

PS: Bailey, not handwritten.........Rubber Stamp

Use on envelopes to prove letter use.

Edited by rod222 - 12/08/2019 05:02 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29902 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   05:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2009 discussion

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29902 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   05:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Mexican, I would suggest are indeed, manuscript cancellations.
Happy to be corrected.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29902 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   05:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Further Theft prevention.
The device was merely to tie the stamp to the cover being mailed, to prevent Ne'er do wells, from soaking the stamp off the cover, and selling on the black market.
Not my image
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   06:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita75, those are used postage stamps, and with manuscript/pen cancels. Perhaps from an office too small to deserve a cancelling device, or done in haste, or from a cover that missed cancellation originally, or whatever. This was not uncommon in the 19th century and can still be done today.
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/08/2019 06:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2741 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   06:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Telegram forms:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the info. Yes My stamps are from my Aunt from a small town in Mexico (border area) - therefore your comment makes sense.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29902 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you P12, Fabulous,
has expanded my knowledge on these markings.
Not addressed on any of the literature I have read previously.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   7:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My initial guess would have been theft prevention, too.

I may have to go take another look at things - perhaps move an item or two from postage to the telegraphs.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29902 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this deserves further study, I wish "Joy" was around.
Obviously used on Postal cover and Telegrams,
but why (On telegrams) cancel with the "X" and the CDS hammer?
Maybe it was a govt directive?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2988 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this was done to prevent theft of these forms and attempted re-use of high value stamps?

In these examples the "X" marks seem have been applied just to the high value stamps.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
733 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   02:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one from my collection. I never gave the X much thought previously...

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29902 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   03:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's one from my collection. I never gave the X much thought previously...

Well done you for keeping it anyway.
Imagine the ones "binned" or "thrown away" from ignorant collectors, who took them as "damaged" or "badly cancelled"

I can tell you, this "X" appears on one of India's rarest stamps, a colour error, only 1 known in existence (or so I recall)
Imagine the ones thrown away.
Owners throwing away world cruises.
Edited by rod222 - 12/09/2019 03:47 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 981Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05