Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Mexico Stamps, First Step - Protection.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,803Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   02:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mrita75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok, I have been able to get some of my older Mexican stamps into protective sheets and sorted somewhat by revenues and late 1800s to early 1900s. I still have a long way to go! but I really like how interesting some of these are and wanted to share my progress. I know that scanning is what is acceptable - so I will be looking into that…thank you for bearing with me.

My first step was basically to save some of these stamps -I mean some will need to be thrown out :( but I mean what should I expect with the age of these Stamps and they were never in an album. Once I get all of the interesting stamps into these protective sheets, I can start to really learn about them and eventually start a real album. Oh, yes there are some duplicates - however, with all of the variations, over prints and age, I am keeping them for now. Nora.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   02:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of additional pages.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29768 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   04:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I mean some will need to be thrown out

Eeeek!

Bear with it, as you progress, you'll find other things on the stamps, that become even more exciting, postmarks, Mexican region opts, etc etc.

Please do not throw stamps out, Reflect on the fact they have survived hundred and tens of years, until they met you, and you throw them out.
There is nothing wrong with having duplicates.

How you treat your stamps, reflect on who you are.

What you have done thus far, is admirable.

Edited by rod222 - 12/08/2019 04:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
628 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   06:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nora,

I concur with Rod, please don't toss any stamps. You've got some nice really Mexican Revenue stamps there. If you pay attention to some of the printed wording on the stamps and overprints you can open a pretty cool world to Mexican postal history.

Nice start to a great collection.
Valued Member
33 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uweinnh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Every stamp is unique (even mint NH depend on position in the sheet, plate faults, etc).
Even if you consider them worthless, someone will find the worth.
Use them for trading, selling, give them away.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You guys made my day. Oh I do not consider them worthless! at all! trust me, I have spent hours and hours admiring and sorting - waiting for the Fed Ex guy to arrive to bring me protective sheets and tongs (lol). Being new to collecting and to the forum, I have been trying to read everything I can on the site before I post or ask questions. I have noticed that a lot of the really experienced collectors tell the novices not to show case dups, and if there is a small flaw to throw it out. But it is nice to read that I am on the right track and I should continue - I have hundred more from MX -many pre 1920 - its quite amazing. Now that I have a little confidence boost - I will be sharing more of my Mexico sheets here. Thanks you again. Nora. I also joined an online Mexico stamp club to learn even more about all of the nuances.
Valued Member
224 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bud to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect Mexico, but if I had these issues, I would. And I wouldn't throw any out! Well done.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
628 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The interesting thing about duplicates, you can compare them and look for slight differences. I enjoy looking for those little errors. Some of the errors or plate varieties are identified in stamp catalogs, and sometimes carry a little greater catalog value.

I collect Mexican revenue stamps from 1890-1899 and the Revolution. My main interest are the talon type of stamp. You have several pictured in your original post.
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wannahocalugie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm learning that even the uglies or damaged have a story worth listening to. Keep them all. Eventually you can make another album of those potential throw aways. Love all the pics so far, keep them coming and great collection.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More from the Mexico Sorting. Thank you.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29768 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that Durango piece is amazing. I am also going to read up on the special customs. Those revenues are different across regional areas - pretty interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nora. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I will gently disagree with several of the other posters in that I toss damaged stamps all the time. Unless one has a damaged stamp with a catalogue value of $40,000+, there is no point in keeping them around, unless.......

My suggestion would be to confine the damaged items to a stockbook, once you've identified them, and then look to eventually replace them. Wannahocaluguie made a similar suggestion. Having a lot of damaged stamps in an album distracts greatly from the perceived quality of your collection in the event you go to sell.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Makes sense. I have thrown away quite a few, well more than a few if ripped or badly stained. Some of the stamps I threw out where the 1889/1890 Renta Interior brown Benito ( I think it is) Revenue stamps - there are three versions a 5 10 and 25. all of those are cut in half but it seems there is a perforation straight down the middle. I can find find info on the practice with those stamps? those are consistently ripped in half. anyhow, I decided to stop throwing those and keep for now until I know more. Once I know more, I can decide. For now unless it is really destroyed, I will keep them and eventually replace specific ones. Thanks.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
267 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nora, I NEVER throw away damaged stamps, I give them to my daughter to use in her artwork. Instead of throwing them out, try finding someone who can use them constructively.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
541 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok coast watcher, starting a separate bag for those poor innocent stamps! ugh kills me to throw them out. Did not think that they could be of use.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,803Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05