Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Mexico Stamps, First Step - Protection.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some of the stamps I threw out where the 1889/1890 Renta Interior brown Benito ( I think it is) Revenue stamps - there are three versions a 5 10 and 25. all of those are cut in half but it seems there is a perforation straight down the middle. I can find find info on the practice with those stamps?

The smaller piece, called a talón, was supposed to be detached as a sort of receipt. I think talón is still used as the word for check stubs. English would be "counterfoil" or "receipt" or somesuch. In practice, the whole was often left on a document as your collection shows. Wholes are probably what catalogs price by but a half is still collectible. And if they did what was done in other countries, the wrong half could be detached and nobody seemed to care much. The tax was paid with the purchase of revenue stamps and the (cancelled) stamps on the document were the proof tax was paid.

Very nice to see all the different ones, particularly in multiples.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/09/2019 8:26 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
158 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
very nice indeed! I have only a few from mexico province of mendoza. if you do 'throw' any more out.. I can catch rather well!

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
308 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you :) I will keep that in mind lol.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
308 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More Mexico stamps. Hoping not to repeat - I have moved some around.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
308 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found this Multicolor Hidalgo (upper right corner) - I am assuming that a brown stamp bled onto the orange Hidalgo revenue? - sure did create a cool effect.
Learn More...
7583 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   1:38 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is called a color changeling, you can learn more than here http://stampsmarter.com/learning/Ar...gelings.html and here http://stampsmarter.com/learning/Ho...idation.html
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
308 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Color Changeling. Thank you Don.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2338 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita75, as a budding collector, the second link Don gave above will be interesting. The sulphurization of yellow and orange inks is not uncommon. And Mexico seems to like those colors.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
308 Posts
Posted 12/16/2019   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, absolutely - yes did a quick peak at the links and will be diving in a bit more after I finish my conference calls lol :).
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
308 Posts
Posted 12/20/2019   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. I have been searching and can't seem to find a lot of detail on this stamp. I believe it's 1857ish? I have seen Chiapas and Veracruz, tried to search by number? But I'm unsure as I can't find this color in online catalogues. Thank you.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
308 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Digging into my newer Mexico stamps - Definitives 1960s-1975ish lots of different papers and printing it seems!

Also, I had posted these "new" revenues to the wrong forum so also including them on my MX thread.
Edited by Mrita75 - 12/28/2019 11:28 am
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wannahocalugie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita75 you have a wonderful collection. Love seeing your stamps.

51studebaker or littleriverphil: I have a question on the second link, How To Remove Oxidation From Stamps. Where I live there is a lot of chlorine in the tap warm or not, which is what the article recommends. Would it then be advised to use spring or distilled? Does it matter? Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2338 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It matters. Lot of chlorine in my city's water as well, I use distilled water.
Unless the stamp is heavily sulfurized, I'd just dip a q-tip in the hydrogen peroxide and wash the surface of the stamp, let it sit wet a few minutes and rinse with room temp distilled water.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
308 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you wannahocalugie and littleriverphil

I have yet to mess with my color changelings... I like the q-tip idea.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2338 Posts
Posted 12/28/2019   1:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome. Q-tip should work well on your Multicolor Hidalgo above.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05