Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Couple Of Nice 3c Imperfs

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
801 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   12:39 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These were cataloged in a book that is generally high quality as 10A and 11A and I want to believe. But I know that color is not enough and I'm not good at plating. So hoping someone else can confirm/deny. Thanks in advance.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
83 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ttreen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If plating them I'd start with the bottom row of plate 1L for the right one and look at A reliefs on 5e, with a top frame line that sags down in the middle, for the left one. They shouldn't be too tough.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
801 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   5:55 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I made a try, but not successful. I'm using the Stamp Smarter database. I don't see any matches for the 1L bottom row and there are no A reliefs listed on 5e in the database.
Valued Member
83 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ttreen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I checked the bottom row of 1L and don't see a match either. But I still think the right stamp is a B relief with no guide dot, so probably bottom row or right column.

I'm not so sure the URDB is gouged out like 1L stamps, and the bottom margin is wide enough to make me try other bottom row stamps before trying other 1L positions. So the next place to try is the bottom row of 2L and 3.

Before finishing checking 2L I found a likely match at 92L2L. My eyes aren't what they used to be, so I'd suggest checking, then check at least the rest of the bottom row stamps from 2L and 3.

As for the left stamp, I assure you there are plenty of A reliefs on 5e, somewhere around 80. I may well be wrong about it being 5e, but that weak left inner line would make me start there. A very nice 3c 1851 plating reference is available on http://stampplating.com.
Edited by ttreen - 12/08/2019 8:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1892 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the right stamp is 92L2L.

It is worth pointing out that it is a major variety, being a Triple Transfer.
Nice item.
Valued Member
83 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ttreen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking "92L2L" sounded really familiar.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2522 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I see the line cut at the top of the URDB I always start with plate 2. In this case plate 2e.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2522 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What do you think of 51L2e?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
989 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you know about this site?
http://stampplating.com/

It's also linked from the USPCS website (under the resources menu)
Valued Member
83 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ttreen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
51L2E matches my references. FWIW 51L2L has a distinctly weak top frame line. Rslny's book is good.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
801 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   12:07 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
great info everyone - I'll spend some time looking at the positions you provided just to educate myself a bit. Thanks very much
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05