Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are There Any Stamps With Rock Chairs Or Roly Poly Toys?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

217 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add idebee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am recently doing some little research on the Scherzer bridge, and finds that it has an inteesting nickname , rock-chair bridge. I am wondering whether there are any stamps with rock chair on them , although I myself do not have any.

And I am also interested in roly-ploy toys recently, which I think has the same physics as rock-chairs. I don't know if roly-poly is the correct english word for it. All I know is that it's called Daruma in Japanese.

I think, with my limited stamp collections, these are not very commonly-seen topics on stamps. If you have seen any, would you share them with me, thanks!

Daruma doll with a motto saying: Fall Seven Times But Stand Up Eight#65281;
Send note to Staff
Edited by idebee - 12/08/2019 1:06 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Russian Federation
565 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alexey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
here there is a little about the toy of Daruma and its descendants in Russia

http://goscf.com/t/66969&whichpage=6
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
217 Posts
Posted 12/08/2019   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
here there is a little about the toy of Daruma and its descendants in Russia

http://goscf.com/t/66969&whichpage=6

Thanks Alexey! It's great to meet matryoshka! It's amazing to see there are ten dolls in one in a vid when the player takes them out one by one, the last ones are really so tiny.

------
Ah, this thread reminds me that rocking horse is also a "rock n roll" thing!
Edited by idebee - 12/09/2019 02:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1966 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Japan's 1955 New Year stamp:

US Christmas stamp from 1978:

From Great Britain's 1968 Christmas set:
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/09/2019 04:07 am
Pillar Of The Community
Russian Federation
565 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   05:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Alexey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found a rocking horse for you

And the Russian toy roly-ploy "Newalyshka",
this is the only image on a postage stamp

here is the design of the toy. Thin rods make a melodious sound when tilted toys

A similar toy from Germany

Edited by Alexey - 12/09/2019 05:27 am
Valued Member
217 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, hy-brasil, beautiful stamps, thanks for sharing them! It seems that rocking horse is kind of a tradition to celebrate Christmas, isn't it? Is it for good omen?

Thanks, Alexey! Nevalyshka is so cute! And It it a really clever idea to install a music device in its body, I have never seen this type before, little babies must love them . And it's also great to see it appear on stamps at least for once.
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 1985 somewhat stylized rocking horse from Czechoslovakia Scott 2572:

Switzerland B502 from 1983:

You did mean rocking horse, right? As opposed to a rocking chair
For which see this one from Finland (scott 536)

Valued Member
217 Posts
Posted 12/09/2019   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, jleb1979 , thanks for posting these beautiful stamps.
Yes, I do mean rocking horse, I think it has the same physics as rocking chair and roly-poly toy. If I am wrong, please correct me, and I am still wondering why the horse and chair will not fall over when it rocks to its extremes? Somebody could teach me a bit on its physics#65281;
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 12/10/2019   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On either a rocking chair or a rocking horse, the key to stability is to keep one's center of gravity over the rails. As long as the rail is between the center of the earth and your center of gravity, you are good.
If the center of gravity moves too far backward, and beyond the rails, one would pitch backward. Same with forward, although in this case, you could exert compensating force with your feet.

By center of gravity one includes the mass of the rocking chair or rocking horse as well as the mass of the person. Ordinarily neither a rocking chair nor rocking horse has much mass relative to the occupant. However I have been in two very heavy rocking chairs which I could feel would prohibit any tipping forward or backward compared to a very tiny, light antique rocking chair in which I sat (in my future mother-in-law's house) and nearly went over backwards. I am a tall adult male with a heavy chest and shoulders, and this small rocker was built for a petite woman, who would have a much lower center of gravity than I.

In addition to the rocking chair and rocking horse, may I suggest you add the cradle, if you wanted to collect rocking objects on stamps. I suspect there are more cradles on stamps than there are rocking horses, rocking chairs, and roly poly toys.

Interesting topic by the way.
- Jonathan
Valued Member
217 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   01:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Jonathan, thank you very much for the nice explanations of the physics, I have learnt a lot and understood better! You have to keep the rail between the center of the earth and your center of gravity, which explains why I see most of the rocking horses have very long rails. By doing so it's not easy to get out the bounds of the rail and fall over, right?

Adding cradles to the topic is a good idea, I didn't think of that because I have none such stamps. Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

---------
Oh, by the way , in view that there are few rocking chair stamps, I am really curious about what is the topic for the last Finland stamp you have posted?
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Idebee, the stamp from Finland (Scott 536) was issued in 1973. It is part of a series on regional costumes, and used an illustration of a Mother and Son, so it is only incidental that it includes a rocking chair.

I did a brief search and see what you mean about the lack of stamps depicting rocking chairs. There are a few in addition to the one from Finland, so I expect you would have an interesting hunt for them. One place to start is with the Stamp Community Forum thread on chairs. http://goscf.com/t/13154&whichpage=4
I see one right there which is a nice souvenir sheet from Poland depicting an author sitting in a rocking chair, although the portion that is a stamp does not show the critical aspects of the rocking chair....

Here is a rocking chair I noticed in my casual search (note - I do not own any of these):

I came across a cradle during my search for chairs, but I will have to post that later....

Edited by jleb1979 - 12/11/2019 1:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, with apologies for delay, here is the image of the Swedish stamp with a cradle which I ran across when searching for chairs. There are, I believe, quite a few cradle stamps out there...
Sorry I do not have details on this one.
Valued Member
217 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Jonathan, thank you very much for the infos!
I think all rocking chairs should be incidental to appear on stamps. :-)
It's great to see Mark Twain on a rocking chair,
and it looks like most literary workers enjoy the feeling of rocking.
Perhaps I'd better search writers and poets!
And looking forward to your cradles.

---------
By the way, how do you search this forum? It seems that the search function is not usable. When I want to start a new topic, I have to guess whether it is already posted or not in any previous threads. :-(
Edited by idebee - 12/11/2019 9:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1380 Posts
Posted 12/11/2019   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After clicking on Search, you just need to put your search terms in the Google Custom Forum Search.
Valued Member
217 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Jonatha, I did not see you reply, nice stamp, I have never seen this kind of cradle before, thanks a lot!

Hi, 22crows, thank you for the tip! It seems that my browser has some problems with that page, so I did not see any input boxes there! OK, anyway, I will live with that for now!
Valued Member
217 Posts
Posted 12/12/2019   02:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add idebee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

It's intereting to see a rocking elephant. I can't keep thinking why rocking horses are much more popular than other animals?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05